Chapter Forty-Nine - the talk, the beach, the moment

My butt was completely numb by the time we were approaching the hotel. From inside the car, I could see the sun shimmering against the ocean and the endless stretch of white sand. I rubbed the sleep out from my eyes having fallen asleep for the last half hour of the drive. "Good morning. Thanks for helping me drive," Parker said with a grin.

"Sorry, I was so wiped because we left so early," I yawned, stretching my legs and arms out in front of me. "I can drive the rest of the way," I said, leaning closer to him with a smirk.

"We're ten minutes away. Thank you so much for offering, but I think I'll manage," he laughed.

"When's Holden coming down again?"

"Tomorrow morning. His flight gets here tonight around eight. The same flight we could have been on if you didn't insist on me not paying for your ticket."

"I can't afford a ticket right now, and don't want you to always pay for me," I retorted.

"We're still taking my car."

"It's the thought that counts," I beamed. "I also don't have a car. Besides, wasn't this fun!?" I exclaimed, leaning against the window to take in the view of the cliff that overlooked the water.

Parker's elbow was rested against the window with a hand on the steering wheel. The sunlight was coming through the window behind him, like a halo. He had the perfect cheekbones and a jawline sharper than my kitchen knife. But the thing I liked most was the way his dark brown eyes would also smile every time he grinned or laughed. It was how I knew when his happiness was real. A smile that made my heart melt. A smile that took away all sense of reason and logic from me.

"Why are you staring so much?" He asked, glancing from side to side.

"Just admiring your face," I said in a sing song voice. He suddenly exaggeratedly grasped the steering wheel with both hands before turning to face me.

"Woah careful with that kind of language! I nearly swerved off the road," he joked. I rolled my eyes.

We finally got to the hotel and Parker reversed into an open spot in the parking lot. As soon as my feet hit the gravel of the lot, I could smell the ocean in all its salty glory. Above us, the gulls squawked circling in the air. We hadn't seen sun like that in weeks. It was at its midday peak, bearing down on us.

The hotel was a faded white building with two large columns at its entrance. We gave reception our names and they handed us our key card. Parker swiped the card at the door for room 304. The red light blinked twice and chirped before he opened it, carrying our bags in.

The room had a small glass table with two matching chairs. The small balcony looked out onto the beach where countless people were frolicking in the water or lying on towels in the sun. The wardrobe sat in the corner of the room beside the bed. Like the entire theme of the hotel, the bed frame was of the same woven wicker design. The sheets were a crisp white, all tucked in and made up neatly.

It didn't hit me until then how close we'd be. Once we took out our outfits for the wedding and hung them up so they wouldn't be excessively crinkled, I sat down on the edge of the bed. Not quite sure how to bring up the topic, I just came out with it and said it. "So, I figure we should discuss our sleeping arrangements."

"Discuss, hey? Very profession, matter-of-fact, business-like. I like it," he grinned.

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes. Then I realised I had no idea how to broach the topic. It was just so awkward because it'd never come up before.

"We can put a pillow in between us. Also, I'm a virgin," Parker suddenly said.

I nearly fell off the side of the bed with that information and apparently the shock had registered on my face. Was it how wide eyed I was or the fact my jaw was on the ground that gave it away?