CHAPTER 8

Alison and Graves looked as of they'd seen death.

Graves spun on his heel facing the group. "Follow me, don't ask questions, and run." He sprinted off toward the tree line, everyone followed.

The man dashed through the trees like a fox. He took a left, toward a well maintained churchyard with a thin metal gate around it. Graves jumped up and, using the gate as leverage, pulled himself over to the other side. He landed hard. Fay heard a crack as he hoisted himself over and as he fell. The group, out of breath, winced. Jack acted as a lift for the rest of them before pulling himself over. On the way, Fay had caught a glimpse of what Alison had earlier called a ghoul. She couldn't think of any other creature to befit the name better. Graves continued into the church, ushering the rest in, counting them off.

"Five! I have five!" He called to the priest.

The man looked over. He had long dark hair, pure white skin, and bright yellow irises, the whites of his eyes an empty void. A flesh toned boy and girl with dark hair and black clothing stood next to him. Fay didn't see much else as everyone was pushed into a cellar to hide. Graves didn't join them. Many were already in there. Before the hatch above her closed the boy, a teenager it seemed, told the priest "37!" Darkness engulfed them. Fay could hear the unrythmic breathing of everyone around her. She felt her shoulder touching Jack's chest, Bathory was next to her, a stranger behind and in front, Alison to her left. She held her hand, squeezing it and shaking, Fay squeezed back. No movement, sound, or air escaped the chamber for what felt like hours. Finally, the hatch opened. Fay could feel herself breath again as sighs of relief surrounded her, swirling out of the constrictive hole into the free air. The boy was looking down at them again. His hair was a mess, as was his face, his grey eyes looked ringed with soot. His clothes were even stranger, he wore dark pants, a leather jacket, and boots, all studded with metal. His white shirt had words in red lettering that said 'love kills'.

"Alright, you know the drill. Youngest to oldest, kids out first." His voice was somewhat deep and very pleasant to hear.

One by one the children amongst them were hoisted up and put outside. A little girl with dark hair in a white raincoat, a boy in a red and black sweater that was too big for him, two girls in black with skull painted faces, and Alison, then the adults. Fay and the other women, the thinner men, finally Jack and another burly man in a white mask and black cape. Fay looked around, none of them but those who'd stayed outside seemed to belong here.

The priest cleared his throat. "All if you quiet down, you may be out but you certainly can't leave yet." His voice was even, clear, and a little high.

The group murmured in dissent, still, none left. Fay sat in a pew, reminded of her younger years, she and her family would always sit in left pew, farthest in front, that's where she sat now. The rest of the series joined her, admiring the gorgeous holy house around them.

Jack leaned over to her. "Y'know, this is the first time I've been in a church, it's a lot less dramatic than I'd expected."

Fay and the other women giggled.

Alison walked over to them. "I just finished talking to Graves, he says we have another hour here. It's kind of ironic that I'm in a church."

"Can't be more ironic than me." Jack said cheerfully.

"Touche."

The priest was talking to the boy and girl with dark hair, the little girl in the raincoat and the boy in the sweater clung to his pant legs. He didn't seem to notice them. The priest ended the conversation and began walking toward the group, kids in tow. He stood next to Alison. He looked over each of them. Fay felt no judgement in his gaze, only curiosity.