Curiosity Killed The Cat

***

(Cass)

Couriosity killed the cat. Well technicaly wolf but you get me. When Ryan ran outside I had to follow because this is what I was trained for; a fight. I walked carefully around the guys making up the neat little defensive line; My wolf was pointing out weak points in the line though. I kept my head down and willed my heartbeat to slow so my scent would be harder to pick up so no one would know it was me.

Reaching the front I glanced at my surroundings, memorizing the threat. It was about 30-40 very strong looking males, sniffing, from a diffrent pack, yet familliar somehow. I could've sworn I've smelled their scent before, and my eyes landed on the one person connecting the dots. Ryan. His pack was here and trying to intimidate mine. When hell freezes over, no one intimidates my pack. I listened in on there conversation between Ryan and a smaller looking version of him whom I am guessing is a brother.

"Sorry Alpha, we didn't know you were okay let alone alive cause you didn't send out the signal so we were worried! What were you too busy trying to charm the pants off your mate to send it to us? Where is the little vixen anyways?" Ryan's brother peered around trying to look into the house and I bit my lip to keep from laughing. I heard Ryan growl, his wolf was angry probably from the lack of respect.

"Do NOT even THINK about my mate that way Clayton or I swear to God, brother or not I will tear you limb from limb." Hmmm maybe it wasn't the lack of disrespect Ryan really felt that way about me? I was touched. I watched Ryan's brother- Clayton- sink back a bit.

"Once again sorry bro,I meant no disrespect, I was just a bit excited for you. Bite me." He grinned sheepishly, before Ryan cracked a smile and reached out and pulled him into a headlock and messed up his hair. Clayton was protesting his embarressment while everyone looked on and I decided to put him out of his misery.

"The little vixen is right here." I stated calmly, everyone laughed the tense atmosphere dispersed and everyone started to mingle greating the newcomers with open arms. I stared proud of my pack before turning my gaze back onto the two brothers. Walking up, I stopped right in front of Ryan and peeked into his eyes startled by what I saw.

Anger. Why was he mad at me?

"Cass! What the hell are you doing out here?! What if I hadn't known them and a bloody war broke out? How would I protect you! You need think before you act! You're going to make this impossible for me, aren't you." He concluded with a sigh. I watched him freak out, amused, before putting him in his place.

"First off, you dont have to protect me, I can take care of myself thanks buddy. Second, you do NOT own me! I can do whatever I damn well want to. Third, there wasn't even a 'bloody' fight so don't even start with me about the 'what ifs' in life." Finished,  I got a good look at their faces. They were both stunned, but Clayton was the first to recover.

"Damn." Was all he was able to say for a second," You know how to pick 'em, bro. Good luck with this one" He turned to me "You'll be a strong Luna for us, I can already tell. I approve" He turned and walked away to talk to someone else. 

I looked back at Ryan who had a smirk on his face.

"What?" I asked

"You just made my wolf very happy is all, and I have a message for you from him."I raised an eyebrow.

"Oh?"

Ryan came up and collected me in his arms, pressing me aginst his 'happy wolf' if you know what I mean.

"If you ever look that sexy again, he'll have to take you out here in the open." Now, I was the one smirking. Discreetly I ground aginst him a bit and I heard him suck in a breath and tighten his arms around me. It took all my strength- mentally and physically- to get out of his iron grip. Standing back a bit I replied in what I hoped was a seductive tone.

"Me, sexy? Nope, I think you have the wrong girl."

"I sure hope I don't have the wrong girl cause then I would not get to meet the fine woman who has warmed and claimed my brother's cold and ruthless heart." Said a girl around my age. I instantly recognized her joking demeanor, she would get along perfect with Naiomi and me. I watched as Ryan's smile grew, loving the way it lit up his eyes.

"Susan! Your back! When did you get home?" He asked as he engulfed her in a huge hug.

"Just now actually, If Clayton hadn't sent out the email describing the pack's plans I wouldn't have known where to go because our Alpha is a terrible communicator." Her tone was playful and light before it turned serious as she turned to me."So, Ryan are you going to introduce us?"

"Right sorry guys, Susie this is my mate Cass, Cass this is my sister Susan." I stuck my hand out but she just pulled me into a hug.

"It is so great to finally meet you! Well I never even knew about you but with all the moping Ryan's been doing cause he dosn't have a mate and all gets kinda boring. You should know Ryan's waited a long time for you." I looked at him confused then what was with him saying he didn't want a mate. I drew in a shakey breath willing the memory to stay at bay, and I felt Ryan's arms wrap around me.

"Whatever Susie, you are just as bad as I am when it comes- or came in my case- to that subject." Ryan said carefree while Susan's eyes narrowed.

"Touché brother, touché." I rolled my eyes and wiggled out of Ryan's embrace and grabbed Susan's arm. I took a glance at Ryan and regretted it instantly, he was actually pouting at me! I started cracking up along with Susan and I watched his frown turn into a smile. Leading Susie away from where I wanted to be, I weaved through the crowd and found my destination.

"I want you to meet some good friends of mine." I knew she would love my friends. Walking up to where Naiomi and Clayton were talking to Alec, I cleared my throat to get their attention.

"Guys, this is Ryan's sister Susan, Susan this is Naiomi, Naiomi's mate Cayden, and Alec."I pointed to each when there turn came up. I could tell Naiomi and Cayden wanted- or needed- some privacy cause Cayden looked like he was about to jump Nai by the way he was looking at her.

"Nai, Cayden, can you check the kitchen for more of that punch stuff please?" I ask polietly wiggling my eyebrows at Naiomi, making her blush. She grabbed a confused looking Cayden and with not as much as a goodbye, was gone from our sights.

"Sorry about them, there just on a Mate-High" I told Susan, who was staring off into space. Wierd is was almost like she was looking at- My thoughts were inturrupted as a growl I had grown familliar with filled the air. What was Ryan upset about now? Jeesh he was like a PMSing girl. I watched him jump infront of Susan and I, facing Alec. Why is Alec reacting that way to Ryan? I watched as Alec tried to get around Ryan to got to something- or someone- behind Ryan. It was almost a Mate-like devotion to the way he kept at it, Trying to get around Ryan.

But he wasn't looking at me. Oh, No.

He was looking at Susan.

*****