Chapter One; Falling apart

~ Aubrey's Point of View ~

"Aubrey," I heard a little girl whisper but I ignored it, curling deeper into my blissful sleep.

"I'm hungry. Please wake up, Aubrey. I'm starving." Alia hissed in my ear and I gave a soft groan, stretching my body out.

I kept my eyes closed as I yawned and stretched my limbs out as far as I could, humming when I feel a familiar crack. The bed rocked as someone else joined me on the mattress and I released a sleepy noise. I opened my eyes and blinked away the blurriness, finding an unimpressed Alia sat on my bed, her arms folded across her chest.

"What time is it, Alia?" I asked in a deep, croaky voice. I always sounded like a man when I woke up.

Alia grinned and slid her little body closer, my eyes narrowing at her mischievous brown eyes.

"It's pancake o'clock!" She squealed causing me to groan, and I let my arm fall over my eyes.

"Alia, please tell me that it's after five and before seven?" I groaned.

"It's six past eight." She chimed and I flew up in my bed, eyes wide.

"Six past eight?" I repeated in a squeak, dread settling in my stomach.

"Yes." Alia confirmed with a cute, toothy smile and I grabbed her wrist, checking the watch she got the time off.

Strawberry shortcakes little pink arm points at six and her long arm sits on the eight, my heart sinking but the dread slipped away as I groaned in annoyance instead.

"No, Alia. I told you. The little arm means the hour and the long arm means the minutes, plus it's not actually eight---," I cut myself off when my eyes landed on the innocent little girl, staring up at me with big brown eyes, her lips stretched in a confused pout.

"Ill be down in a minute, okay?" I said softly causing her face to morph into a happy one and she flew off the bed and straight out the door, her little feet padding down the hallway and the stairs.

Oh boy, she'll be the death of me. Alia was my five year old sister, and she was the cutest. But she knew how to be a handful sometimes.

I fell back into my pillows, giving one last yawn before rolling to my side and off the bed. The floor boards were cold and sent a painful chill up my calves.

I padded over to my window, sliding open my curtains and I sighed. The sun light was barely visible through the woods. The sun hasn't even risen yet. I walked over to my wardrobe to grab my school uniform.

A white button up blouse, grey skater skirt with my black leather vans and shin heigh white socks. I hated wearing a uniform but it was required at a selective school. One my brother and I were forced into for our natural gift in sport and his advanced academic skills.

I slipped on the clothes and brushed my hair, moving into the hallway to go to the bathroom. I did my business before washing my face and I headed down stairs.

"--can you help me find the river?"

I looked over to find Alia sitting on the couch, deeply engrossed in Dora the Explorer. I smiled and entered the kitchen, sighing.