A Reason

The end of my shift draws closer and closer. I've had to work extra lately to afford to leave. A gunshot went off right outside my house a few nights ago, it's had me on edge for the past week. It figures, given the neighborhood. Fights and robberies are usual and happen frequently. It's the kind of place people with scummy jobs like me live.

I grab the keys and head out, turning around and locking the door behind myself. It's chilly out, the tips of my nose and ears are already going numb. The sun is still an hour or so away from coming up. It'll allow for a traffic-free drive home, which will be a nice change. I try my best to shuffle through the alley as quickly and quietly as possible.

"Hey," a man yells from behind me. I can't help but jump a bit at his voice. Before I can answer his hand slams down on my shoulder to spin me around and push my back to the wall.

"So you're one of their little sluts, huh?" he chuckles, jerking his head towards the club. His dark, unkempt hair gets caught in his mouth as he speaks. His teeth are yellow and he reeks of cigarettes and alcohol.

"What'cha doing out so late?"

I try to break from his grip only to be pushed back again, this time harder than before. He puts his other hand on my neck, allowing his thumb to travel down my jawline.

"Please, I'm not-"

He shushes me with his finger and laughs to himself. "I've always thought these things were overrated. Pay to watch whores undress, do a little dance. Well, the real thing don't even gotta cost me nothing."

"Let go of me," I struggle, trying to push against the weight of his body.

"Where's the fun in that?" he grins, "Too scared to commit?"

I bring my leg up and manage to kick him, although I'm not quite sure where. His grip remains, nails digging into my skin as he laughs.

"You f-cking slut," he whispers right before he sinks his teeth into my ear. I scream and struggle, but there's nobody around. At least I think so until the man is suddenly down on the ground. A tall figure pushes themselves off of him and grabs my hand, rushing me over to a car. The door opens, I'm shoved into the passenger seat. I lay my head against the back of the seat and gently touch my ear. My head spins at the sight of blood on my hands when I pull away.

"Bea," I hear from beside me. Skwisgaar sits in the drivers seat, eyes wide with panic, "Ams you okay?"

My eyes travel down to his hands, which are also stained red.

"What's happened?" he asks.

"I..." I struggle to find the right words, "I closed up and he... Attacked me."

---

I sit down in Skwisgaar's room once again, this time grateful to be here. Had he not showed up... I don't even want to think about what could've happened.

"How come you were there?" I ask as he steps back into the room holding a first aid kit.

"I cames by a few days ago, but you weren'ts there. They said you woulds be here tonight. I wanteds to see you alone."

He sits down beside me and opens the kit, furrowing his brows as he examines it before he looks up to me with a sigh. "I honestly have no ideas how to use this."

I smile and take it from him, digging through the contents before pulling out hydrogen peroxide and a tissue.

"I have to clean my ear, the guy bit me and he didn't look too clean," I say quietly. "Could you, um, help me out?"

He nods, "Of course." I lay down on the bed and hand him the bottle. He hesitantly leans over me, our chests close enough that they brush against each other. My eyes travel across his face as he focuses on caring to the wound. One arm keeps a gentle grip on my side, the other resting on my own arm as he finishes up. His eyes are so bright, so sharp. They meet mine for a second as he leans back.

"So, I guess I should go, huh?"

"No, you shoulds stays. Just to makes sure you ams safe."

So I lay next to him, eyes wide open and mind racing. The dark room would frighten me if I were home. I'm here, though, with someone who has shown me such incredible kindness. It would've been unlike him if this had happened a month ago, but now it seems real. He seems real.

Hey! So this chapter had been in the works for a while but I had a hard time moving the story forward. I don't normally write too much violence, especially in romance, but I feel like it was a good way to give Bea a reason to like Skwisgaar. So yeah, that's that. Thanks!