Chapter 3: Desperate Situation, Desperate Measures

Last chapter until I choose a cover! ❤️
*

"Are you sure you're okay? I can take care of her for the night." Breane frowns and I shake my head.

"It's cool."

"At least let me clean you up, so she doesn't have to see—,"

"Daddy!"  Gee came running, crashing into my knee which hurt little as I stumbled.

"Hey GeeGee, I got you a rose," she giggles, totally unfazed by my appearance as she has seen it all before, probably worse. It broke my heart that she had to, but when life throws these things at you, there's nothing really you can do except move on.

I feel guilty most times, like I'm forcing her to grow up, which I Why I try my best to just get her to act as freely as she can. I don't want her mind to be too mature by the time she's 13, I want her to giggle, and be excited by that girly thing they put on nails, I want her to be shy when it comes to boys, also knowing that her dad will ground her for life if she got involved with them, I wanted her to believe in fairies, and Santa Claus, I wanted her to just be a kid, but here she is, understanding that things are hard and she can only eat cornflakes for breakfast on the good days, and that sometimes daddy goes out and comes back bruised and battered.

"Pretty," she smiles, taking it gingerly from me. "Can you put it in my hair?" She asks, and I nod. Inspecting it for thorns once again, I placed the rose in her hair. She looks up at me expectantly,

"You look beautiful Gee," she gives me a satisfied smile, before nodding.

"Anyway, thanks Breane, we'll see you tomorrow,"

"Manni. . ." She calls, but I was already limping down the hallway and back to my room.

||

"Daddy, how was your day?" Gee asks, freshly showered climbing up on the small couch next to me as I tended to my bruises.

"It was a bit rough, but it was okay now that I get to see you. I'm surprised you weren't sleeping."

"I needed to stay up, so I could be with you."

"You know I would've carried you home Gee," I raise an eyebrow and she shrugs. "So, how was your day?"

"It's was fine. I had meatballs today,"

"Really," I smile. And my stomach grumbled, reminding me that I had eaten absolutely nothing today, probably the pain was silencing it, but right now it hit me full blast. "Did you enjoy it?"

She didn't answer, she climbed out and ran into the room instead.

"Gee?" I call out, confused and she comes back out with her small Dora backpack, that was worn out, but usable. She placed it on the couch, and rummaged through it.

Pulling out two bowls, she handed me one. "I asked Breane to save some for you, and she also gave me an extra bowl to take home."

I simply stared at Gee, as she looked up at me innocently.

"Well, here you goo daddy," she says becoming impatient, and I take it from her, patting my lap.

"Come here," I tell her and she obeys. I give her a tight hug, willing myself to not break down. She has no idea what she did. "I love you girl, you hear me?"

"I love you too," she says, wrapping her tiny arms around my neck.

"Just me and you, against the whole world, I've always got you, okay?" Her head nods in my shoulder, and I let out a breath, soaking in the moment of emotions.