Chapter 11: Thanks

Sorry for any errors.
____________

"How does one get water connected to their house?" I ask Mr. Coaxsten as he hands Gelan a box drink. He looked so excited to see her, it was refreshing but at the same time I would always try to keep my eye on her.

"What do you mean? Do you not have any running water?" He looked confused, dressed in his red and brown shirt, and bright green trousers.

"I-I well I just moved into this place. . . "

"Oh I see. . . If you want I can have my guys go over and set it up for-"

"No, no that's fine just . . . Do you have any clue how to?"

"Well I know there has to be a nearby source of water. Perhaps a dam, reservoir or an underground well source."

This may be harder than I thought.

"Why don't you just contact the responsible persons?"

"I-uh did already . . . I'm just a handy man I guess," I nervously chuckle and I could tell Mr. Coaxsten was getting a bit suspicious so I dropped the subject.

"If you need help," he lowers his voice, "I know a guy who knows his way around the water works, he can hook you right up, without contacting anyone." He winks and I raise an eyebrow.

"Are you serious?"

"Dead serious, although I shouldn't joke about that . . . I'm nearly 90."

I chuckle before nodding, "that'll be great, I'll let you know when I'm ready for him."

Add some pipes an-

"He'll come with the tools and materials also," Mr. Coaxsten says, before turning to a quiet Gelan.

"Would you like to go to the playroom?" She turns to me and I dust off my hands, nodding. I decide to go with them, trailing behind.

We came to a stop at a pink coloured room, with every toy Gee could ever imagine. A little car, a doll house, make up kit, and then there was an entire section for just . . . Books. Colouring, spelling, you named it, it was all there.

"Howd you get this done so quick?"

"Money."

"Who are you?" I ask cautiously and he let's out a low chuckle, before patting my back.

"You'll find out, soon enough. Hey, Gelan?" He steps in as she skims through the mini library. "If you need anything, I'll be outside, and your daddy is outside as well."

"Okay," she grins at me before turning back into her own world.

"Thank you."

#

Right now I have one thousand, one hundred and forty dollars. I decided that the first thing that I would buy was the two burner stove and the mini refrigerator.

That also meant I needed a little table.

"What're you looking for daddy?" Gee asked curiously as we walked through E-Z buy. They were known for their appliances, and although used, some of them were in great shape.

"A little fridge Gee." She gasps.

"A fridge?!"

I chuckle at her reaction, and she clutches the doll to her chest.

"Can we buy like . . . Soda on the way home?" She whispers to me and I raise an eyebrow.

"You like soda now?" She nods, looking at me with her big hopeful brown eyes and I cave.

"We can buy a bottle," I agree and she grins. I playfully roll my eyes at her and find a decent looking fridge for only 250.

The process was quick. We found a salesman, who thankfully was black, and we got it processed. For the first time, I signed my name onto something that wasnt sending my blackass to jail.

I also bought a small fifty dollar table, and the two burner stove.

The stove was brand new so it was a bit more expensive but it was work it.

They got it delivered the same day, but I just let them drop it off by the bus top, and I would take it from there. The sun was setting as I had just came from work so I quickly got home and just plugged it in with Gee anxiously waiting.

"Does it work?" She squeak, peaking around me and I scrunch my eyebrows.

"I don't kn-," a satisfying whirring sound makes itself known as the fridge comes to life, a small bulb flickering on.

"Ahh!" Gee jumps, and I slowly smile to myself.

"We have a fridge daddy! Our very own fridge!" She giggles, clapping her hands.

After getting he table inside, the stove was also electric so I quickly tried it before turning it off.

"Come on mamas, we have to head to the store now."

"Okay!"

With her on my hip, I did the quick three minute walk to the corner store.

"Pick your soda Gee."

Placing her down, she chose a large bottle of Pepsi before shoving it in my direction. I take it from her before we just cruised around the shop, actually grocery shopping since we now had a place to store all of it.

I could actually cook now, fulfilling meals for Gee and I, I could buy ice cream and store it, I could-

"Daddy, it's our turn."

Paying the cashier, we left. Gee had two bags in her hand and I had three. She talked all the way home, a smile on her face.

It was the greatest thing I had ever seen.