Chapter 6: In A World Like This

Hey hey, are we feeling this book?

About the covers I'll post a desperate chapter with the names and the covers sent in, they were all beautiful and I'm really happy you guys helped me out 😉

Cover for book from: l3xiftw loved it! 🧡

"Daddy!" A scream caused me to jolt as Gee shook me violently.

"What? What is it?" I grabbed her. She was crying. "Gee what's wrong?"

"Where are we?" She sniffs and I frown.

"Why're you crying?"

"There's no lights. . . And and," she hiccuped, and I sigh, realizing that the candle was finished.

"I'm right here Gelan," I reassure her, as she rests her head on my chest.

"Daddy, where are we?" She repeats.

"We'll be living here for a while," she stays silent, I have no idea what she was thinking, but we stay like that until she falls asleep again, this time in my arms.

'Morning comes in no time, and Gee and I walked to the pay to shower place not too far.

"Alright Gee, you have four minutes, make it count," I tell her as I give the man a dollar.

"But why aren't we living at Breane's anymore Daddy? She doesn't like us?"

"No, no, I'll tell you when you're older, you won't understand."

"Does that mean I'm stupid?" She asks curiously.

"No Gee, you're very smart. That just means you're young." She hums to herself and as she steps in, I hand her a bar of soap and shut the curtain, ensuring that I stood behind it. There were a lot of disgusting men out here, and as long as I was alive, Gee was going to be protected from them.

"You done mama?"

"Yes," She says, and I push the towel through the side of the curtain. She usually wants to dress herself, so I just made sure she had her flip flops on as she changed in the bathroom. "My pants a little wet daddy," she came out frowning as she hands me the towel.

"It'll dry ma, don't worry."

I told Breane where to wait for us, and it was a bus stop a little below our 'place', we were right on time I suppose, for I saw her white Chevy Park in front of me in no time.

"Hey Gelan!" Breane smiles as  I open the door for Gee.

"Hi," she replies. "Bye daddy,"

"Bye Gee, ill see you later," we blow kisses and Breane gives me a sad smile.

"How're you holding up?"

I resisted the urge to kiss my teeth. It's been less than a day. What did this girl think? I needed her?

"We're all good," I shrug and she sighs.  "Just have her back by six aight? I'll wait here."

She nods and drives off after moment, I decided to take my turn at the pay to shower, then head back to the place we called home to change.

There wasn't much I could do, and I was out of options, I now had to go door by door, to see if anyone wanted work done. These white people would pay for anything.

× × ×

"Good morning ma'am, is there anything I can do for you today? Maybe mow the lawn? Fix a pipe—,"

"You can get the hell off of my property before I call the cops." the wrinkly lady said, half hidden behind the door. I resist the urge to defend myself, or say anything at all, so I simply nod, and continue on my way.