Tampons ❤️

(helpful pictures above)

Tampons are good for sports, especially swimming, because they are worn inside the body. They can also be for everyday use though!

❗️ Do not try putting in a tampon without permission from your mom or a trusted woman first! AND you should probably ask your mom or a trusted woman about how to put it in, and see if she has any tips! And if you don't know where your vagina is, then ask her! Adults can help a lot!❗️

How do tampons work?
Tampons are inside of a plastic or cardboard applicator. The applicator is there to provide a smooth surface to help the tampon glide in smoothly with no problem. It may be scary putting one in for the first time, but with the help of your mom, a trusted woman, and this, there's nothing to be afraid of!

Step 1:
Wash your hands, you don't want any germs getting inside you!

Step 2:
Take the tampon out of the wrapper, and put your middle finger and thumb on each side of the end of the barrel, where it has an indention for your fingers.

Step 3:
Sit on the toilet with your legs spread wide apart, or put one foot up on the sink to get in a good position.

Step 4:
RELAX ALL YOUR MUSCLES! That is the best tip I can give you for inserting a tampon! It will make sure you can get the tampon all the way up! ALSO It is completely impossible for the tampon to get lost in your vagina, it can not get into your uterus, and you will always have a string hanging out to remove it.

Step 5:
Insert the barrel of the tampon into your vagina at an angle pointing towards your back, until your fingers are at the opening, or you can't make it go any further back.

Step 6:
Push in the plunger of the tampon in with your pointer finger until it wont go any further back.

Step 7:
Pull out the plastic or cardboard applicator, so there is only a string hanging out of your vagina.

Step 8:
Check the fit. It may take a few tries to get used to the process of putting in a tampon, and getting it back far enough, so it might not feel right the first time. The goal is to not be able to feel it after a few minutes, and being able to forget its there for a few hours. Always set a timer to take out your tampon. You can leave it in for 4- 8 hours, but NEVER leave it in for more than 8 hours! It can cause TSS which is a deadly disease, so I personally only leave mine in for 7 hours at most just to be safe!

If it starts to hurt, or it starts throbbing, then you probably have it too low, and you can take it out. Tampons do not hurt when they are put in properly. The tampon should never be hanging out, only the string should hang out. You can always try again!

Most people wear a pad or panty liner with their tampon, so if it leaks it won't be a problem!

When should I start using tampons?
Most people start out using pads. But after about a year, they try out tampons. But you can try tampons anytime as long as you're not scared, and your mom tells you that you can! then you can if you want to!

Every person is different, I first tried tampons on my second period ever, and the first few times I tried them, it hurt a little and felt uncomfortable because I had them in the wrong spot, but after a few tries, I got it right!

What is TSS?
TSS Stands for Toxic Shock Syndrome. It is a serious disease that you can get from leaving in a tampon for more than 8 hours! It can be deadly, but it is very rare! So don't let it scare you away from using tampons! As long as you don't leave in a tampon for more than 8 hours, or put in a SUPER tampon on a light flow day of your period, you don't have a chance of getting it. Some people sleep in tampons, and wake up in the middle of the night to change them, but I would not recommend that. Because you might sleep through the alarm and risk getting TSS! So I would not sleep in tampons!

How do you take out a tampon?
Just grab the string, relax all your muscles, and slowly pull on the string until the tampon comes out. Always take out a tampon while on the toilet though! It can get a little messy! To dispose of a tampon, wrap it in toilet paper, and throw it away.

Can a tampon get lost inside of me?
NO! When you insert a tampon, it goes in your vagina against your cervix. It is impossible for a tampon to pass your cervix and enter your uterus!

Does it hurt to take out a tampon?
If the tampon is full of blood it shouldn't hurt at all. It might feel a little uncomfortable though. If  you are taking out a dry tampon though, it may hurt a little, but not too bad.

What size tampon should I use?
If this is your first time putting in a tampon, you should use a Slim or a Lite!

If you have a light flow, use a Lite tampon, is you have a normal-moderate flow, use a regular tampon. And if you have a heavy flow, use a Super tampon. And if it's SUPER heavy then use a super plus. Always ask a trusted woman about what size to use first! There is also ULTRA tampons but you probably won't need them until you are older!