Chapter III

I threw my arms up over my face as the white figure dropped onto the ground, causing a large puff of smoke. I looked up in surprise. "Netero..." she whispered... Father. she felt faint. shaking herself she forced herself to look at him again, he certainly hadn't changed much. he was standing opposite Menchi, who looked quite surprised. "w-who is that geezer?" someone asked. I sent a death glare in their direction, hopping they'd see. "The chairman of the selection committee." Menchi said. "He's in charge of the hunter exam... Chairman Netero" "well, I work behind the scenes." I snorted lightly. sure... "I only take action when there's an issue, like now." He continued. "So, Menchi..." "yes sir!" Menchi seems to have a lot of respect for him... "You failed all the applicants because you disapproved of their reluctance to try new things?" I caught him staring at Menchi's chest for a second while talking, Really? REALLY NETERO? I thought in annoyance. Menchi, embarrassed answered "No, sir... I lost my cool when one of the applicants insulted gourmet hunters." she sighed, "Then I made the exam harder than necessary." "In other words, you're aware this exam was unacceptable?" Netero asked. "Yes, sir..." Menchi answered. "When cooking is involved, I lose control. I am unfit to be an examiner." she looked up at him. "I will resign as examiner! Please do the second phase again!" "But it would be difficult to find another examiner on such short notice..." Menchi bowed. "I apologize..."  Netero smiled. "Very well, how about this?"

How the heck did we end up doing this? I thought to myself in annoyance, looking down the ravine filled with webs. a sudden gust of wind knocked several applicants over. "Everyone look below the webs." Menchi told them. "Those are.." Gon started. "Spider eagle eggs." Menchi finished for him. "I'll demonstrate how to get them." Menchi said, jumping off the edge. she caught hold of a web near the bottom, swinging around it like a bar. she hung for a moment, waiting for something. "Even if she gets the eggs, how will she get back up?" Leorio asked besides her. suddenly, Menchi jumped. Applicants seemed terrified, thinking she was dead. I smirked. I guess wind isn't too annoying sometimes...  Menchi managed to grab an egg on the outside of the nest and continued downwards. "Hey... She jumped down!" Someone yelled. Yeah, we know... "Is she trying to kill herself?" Leorio asked. "No, she's not." Kurapika said quietly. suddenly, the breeze picked up. Menchi flung out of the ravine, completely unharmed.

I jumped down into the ravine. I grabbed onto the web near Gon, Killua, Leorio and Kurapika. the web dipped. there was too much weight. oh dear... I thought in dismay. "Catch you later!"I heard someone yell, then saw them drop into the ravine. they screamed, making me want to cover my ears. "Let's go!" Leorio yelled, already letting go. "Not yet!" Gon yelled. I reached down and caught Leorio, pulling him back onto the web. "There isn't always an updraft, we have to wait." Killua told him. They heard the man screaming as he continued falling instead of floating upwards on the wind. Leorio looked nervous. "T-Thanks Lizzie..." He said. I nodded, "No problem." "So, when's the next one?" Leorio asked. "Wait." Gon said, closing his eyes. the webbing was snapping. "The web won't hold us all!" Kurapika said. "Gon, not yet?" Killua asked, completely unfazed. the webbing was about to collapse. "Damn, I can't wait any longer!" Someone yelled, jumping off, followed by several others. Idiots... I thought in annoyance. "It's gonna snap!" Leorio screamed. "NOW!" Gon suddenly yelled. everyone dropped free. I reached out and grabbed an egg. it was fun to see the looks of terror on peoples faces as we fell. the updraft caught us and flung us into the air. I laughed. This was more fun than I thought it would be...

"Allow me to introduce myself to the forty-two remaining applicants." Netero said. they had boarded the air ship to get to the next phase. "I am Netero, Chairman of this year's hunter exam selection committee." the little jelly bean man next to him also added, "And I am his secretary. my name is Beans." "Originally, I'd planned to make my appearance during the exam's final phase, but as I'm already here..." he paused. "I love the tension in the air!" his eyes looked over me and I avoided meeting his gaze. his gaze lingered for a second before he continued. "So I think I'll stick around for the rest of the trip." he laughed. and I smiled slightly, his laugh hadn't changed a bit.

"C'mon guys! let's explore the ship!" Gon said cheerfully. "Yeah!" I agreed, Killua nodded. Jeez... I'm starting to act more like a kid than Killua... I thought. Then again, he hasn't had much of a childhood at all... "How can they have so much energy?" she heard Leorio ask with a sigh as they ran off.

"Stay out of the kitchen!" the chef yelled as we made off with a few snacks. "Wow! Awesome!" Killua yelled, running to the window. "Look!" "What is it? What is it?" Gon asked in excitement. I joined them at the window. "Woah.." I breathed, "it sure is pretty..." "yeah!" Gon agreed, "It's like the ground's covered in Jewels!" I felt a strange aura somewhere nearby... strange and familiar. Hisoka... I turned to the boys. "I gotta do something, be back soon." I turned and walked towards Hisoka. opening the door to the room he was in, I spotted him setting up cards. there wasn't anyone else there. "oh~" Hisoka said, smiling up at her. "So, You've decided to come talk to me?" I sighed, "Sadly, yes. I want to know how you recognized me." He shuffled his cards. "Your glare. you gave me a death glare that no one else can." he laughed. "I noticed you have taken an interest in Gon..." I told him. he nodded. "He'll be an incredible fight when he's ripe." "Don't. You. Dare." I told him, stamping my foot. "He's a child, Hisoka! Stay away from him!" He smirked. "Or what?" "Or I'll kill you." I said quietly.

Welp, that was fun ^o^ hope ya enjoyed, BAI!