Chapter VIII

I looked towards the woods anxiously, me and Killua had just wandered around for the last few days and it was time to leave. Gon was no where in sight. "I'm sure Gon will make it." Killua told her. I sighed, nodding. suddenly, I felt a presence. "Gon!" I yelled, seeing him, Kurapika and Leorio come out of the woods. Gon gave me and Killua a thumbs up, then showed the examiner his numbers. I was surprised to see he had actually gotten Hisoka's number.

I looked out the window, watching the sea pass below us. we had just gotten on the airship. "I have an announcement for all the applicants." a voice rang out over the intercom. "The chairman wishes to interview the remaning candidates." "Interview?" Leorio asked, frowning. "When your number is called, please come to the first reception room on the second floor. We'll start with number 44, Hisoka."  I rolled my eyes, "I'm glad I'm not Netero... Hisoka is a pain." I muttered. Gon looked over at me, an uncertain look in his eyes. I sighed, he didn't trust me anymore since he saw me with Hisoka. 

after awhile, I heard my number being called. "Number 7, Lizzie next." I jumped up, heading towards the room. if he recognizes me... I stopped. it was better not to think about it.

arriving in the room, I sat down across from Netero. "Hello." Netero said, smiling. "I'll just be asking you a few questions." I nodded, not trusting myself to talk. "First, why do you want to become a hunter?" he asked. "Because, it's convenient." it wasn't a lie, it would be convenient to have another hunter in the phantom troupe. he nodded. "Next question. which of the nine applicants are you keeping an eye on?" I looked up. "Gon. he has a lot of potential." he smiled, "Of course. one last question, which of them would you least want to fight." "Gon." I answered immediately. "I wouldn't be able to hurt him... or Killua." "Alright, you're excused." he told me. I quickly left the room, relaxing after escaping his view.

You'll have to face him eventually... I told myself, staring out the window. I just hope eventually is no time soon...

stepping inside the grand hotel, we were explained the final phases rules by Netero. we were fighting, killing wasn't allowed and only one person would lose. simple enough. but when I saw the pairs I got worried... first was Gon and Hanzo... "oh dear..." I whispered, looking over at Hanzo. he could beat Gon quickly. and if Gon loses he'll move up to fight... I looked at the board. Me. I looked over towards Gon, who had noticed as well. "Don't worry, Lizzie." he told me, determination in his eyes. "I don't plan on losing."

I crossed my arms, barely able to contain my rage as Hanzo tormented Gon, trying to break him. I could already tell I was leaking bloodlust, Kurapika and Leorio had moved away from me. I held myself tighter. "Gon can win this..." I reminded myself. "Then I'll tear Hanzo apart..." I winced as Hanzo hit him again.

Three hours passed. Gon's blood was on the floor around him. he lay there, but he had not given up. at this point, I had sat against the wall and curled myself into a ball. no one seemed to notice, they were too busy watching the fight. if you could call it that. my concentration was shattered when Hanzo spoke. "I'm going to break your arm." I snapped my head up, sure enough, Hanzo had pinned Gon and was about to snap his arm. Gon looked shocked. "I'm not joking." Hanzo told him. "Give up." "Never!" Gon yelled. it was interrupted by a loud snap. I winced. I'll tear him limb from limb! I thought, accidentally letting out more bloodlust. Gon lay on the ground, gasping. I couldn't take it. I wrapped my arms around my head, blocking out the sounds and the fight. "Gon will win... Gon will win..." I muttered to myself over and over.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Lizzie." she heard Killua's voice say. "Gon won." I glanced up, tears in my eyes. "I knew it..." I whispered, smiling slightly. then my smile turned slightly more evil when I realized this meant I could battle Hanzo.

Hanzo looked down on me, probably assuming I would be as easy as Gon. "Idiot..." I muttered. he glared at me. "Fight begin!" a man yelled. Hanzo took the first attack, which I easily dodged, pushing him as he went by and throwing him off balance. a gracefully spun around and landed a few feet from him. he jumped up and spun around to see me. I smiled, then got behind him. he couldn't react in time and by the time he knew what was happening, I had pulled a small dagger out of an invisible pocket and put it to his throat. I leaned forward and whispered into his ear "Don't ever touch Gon again. I'm always watching... always. there is no escape from me... wanna know a secret? I've murdered thousands of people and I'm not afraid to do the same to you." he paused for a second. "I surrender..." he said, bowing his head. I smiled, that was pretty easy. I skipped over to Killua and the others, smiling.

I was happy after the fight until I realized... Killua and Illumi were battling. I was worried, Illumi was stronger but he wouldn't kill his little brother... but she hoped Killua would be okay. practically everyone knew that the Zoldyck family... well... they weren't exactly the perfect family. Killua had run away, after all.

sure enough, the moment Illumi removed those pins... the fight was practically over. "Be strong, Killua..." I muttered, watching his scared face. "I heard that you cut up Mom and Milluki." Illumi said, his voice flat and emotionless. "Y-yeah.." Killua said. "Mom was crying." Illumi told him. "Anyone would cry if their son did that to them." Leorio said. wait for it... I thought. "Tears of joy." though the situation was dire I couldn't help smirking. Illumi is such a weirdo.. I thought, focusing back on Killua. "Killua, you can do this!1" I yelled. he didn't look away from Illumi but nodded. Illumi looked at me. "Oh, Ilya." he said. ugh, you just had to say that... I thought, glaring at him. "shut up." I told him sternly. "I'm surprised to see that you're not with Chrollo." he told me. "Shut. Up." I repeated, glancing over at Netero who had tensed at the name Ilya. Illumi nodded and went back to his fight. I quickly slipped out of the room, needing to get away from Netero.

I looked down at Gon, he seemed to be sleeping peacefully. I pulled a chair up and held his hand. "You did good, Gon..." I muttered, smiling at the boy she had grown so attached to. how will we part when this is over? I wondered. I looked up out the window, watching some birds build their nest. It won't be that bad... we'll see each other again. I smiled. yes, we will see each other again. I can feel it.