prologue

Hogwarts... I never believed I'd be invited to join after years of waiting but here I am, flying in the air awaiting our stop. However, I'm rather uneasy about being accepted primarily because it's nearly the middle of the fifth year.  What took them so long anyway? I wasn't hidden or anything. Suspicions, like mine, will rise and that'll look bad for someone trying to hide who they could be.

I was orphaned at a young age and was left in the care of a children's home. The women were not kind to us, they fed us and cleaned us, but they were in no way capable of being mothers. Most days--we, the kids did the chores while they rested their feet on the coffee table and scoffed down their buttered bread. Butter was a luxury for us in our financial situation. So the woman assumed it was their reward for taking such good care of us.

My letter of acceptance came at the most impeccable time of my life, right when I could no longer be adopted as a sixteen-year-old whom no adult wants anything to do with. I'm starting to believe I just have a face that drives people away, I look mean... I knew the woman would never let me leave so I did the only thing I'd been wanting to do since I could think for myself, I ran away. Sprinting through the cold streets of London with my arms wide open, I'd never felt so free in all my life. I'd never left the home, the woman never let us, fearing we'd do exactly as I was doing right then when I was brought to a halt as I got to the local park.

I heard the rattling and clanking of an engine, followed by the shadow of a big man in the silhouette of the moon. That was Hagrid, a lovable and gentle giant who transported me all the way here, Hogwarts. I never thought I'd live to see the day I'd get to witness this magnificent place, and I get to partake as a student inside its walls...

Hagrid hops out of his vehicle to stand beside me as I gawk over the school.

"Magnificent, isn't it?"

I nod slowly.

"I've been waiting for this day for a long time, Hagrid. I was twelve years old when I felt it for the first time, and I hoped that...Well."

Hagrid pats my back, looking down at me as I gestured my hand toward the school. This is my moment to finally feel whole, maybe it's here that I can find a way to search my past and find my parents. I'm ready to know who I am.