I

I remember my sister as I walk through the halls of the school, admiring the architecture, the details in the stone and marble, the arches and their radiants, the candles lighting our way, and the magic I feel tickling the air. This place feels like home and I just got here, it's almost too familiar to me. I've known this feeling all my life and only realized it four years ago, embracing it was never even an option around people who didn't understand. Except for Abby Harris.

I was an anonymous child brought to the doorstep of the children's home, I had no name nor surname. They said a stranger brought me to the door with a note explaining very plainly that my parents are gone and that I have no identity, and to do with me what they must. For the first few years, everyone just called me girl, but then Abby was brought to The Home. She had her name and she knew who her parents were, they weren't dead though. Her parents had given her up the moment she was born, she found this out when she was eleven around the same time she was transferred to our home. The transfer was necessary to escape a viral infection spreading in her old town, finding that she was clean, she was allowed here.

She had a best friend who had died at her old home, and meeting me reminded Abby of her. She named me Ersula after that departed friend, although she called me Eris for short. I loved her so much, I considered her the only family I had in the world. She was taken from me earlier this year, another transfer. I begged to go with her but the mothers wouldn't let me. Abby gave me light in the darkness of my life, and now she's gone and I don't know where... I assumed her surname coming into this school having needed one, claiming her as my sister when asked if I had family remaining.

I showed Abby my ability to manipulate the flame of the candles, she was the only person I trusted to know about it. And frankly, the only person who could (or tried) to understand. She didn't freak out like I guessed she would, she wanted me to try more and more until one day I conjured a flame with my finger... That's when I realized I wasn't a regular human being, I had something special.

The woman would take us on trips to the library from time to time and allowed us to lend three books maximum. Abby and I would pick out books that we could use to research what I was. We read about Hogwarts and the first wizarding war, as well as how to get to Hogwarts itself. Apparently, the headmaster was supposed to know I was a witch before I did. It was since then that Abby and I waited, trying to send a letter to an imaginary Hogwarts. And now here I am, I wish Abby could see me now.

Hagrid stops at the foot of a spiral staircase, I suppose this is where I'll meet Professor Dumbledore. Hagrid gives me a reassuring smile in an attempt to calm my nerves, but I can't help it, I'm too excited to be here. It's as if I stepped through the wardrobe and entered Narnia after reading about it and telling people about it for years, while no one believed me. Who's laughing now?

I actually ended up meeting Severus Snape first. He's very cold and discreet, just the way I read about him. Come to think of it, I wonder if the writer of all those books I read went to Hogwarts himself..? Minerva McGonagall met me next, she's as gentle and lovable as described as well. And then Albus Dumbledore, wise and cunning yet completely humble. I've already taken a liking to these three, I can't wait to meet the rest of the staff. I only hope the students are as gratifying as the Professors...

Everyone's chattering is silenced in the dining hall when Professor Dumbledore takes his stance at the podium in the center of the space. After meeting the Professors and transporting my belongings, I was escorted by Professor Snape to the hall and left to wait on the sidelines a little bit behind Dumbledore.

"Students, it appears that I've got some news for you." Dumbledore begins, "We have a new student joining us."

Everyone leans forward, backward, and sideways to see behind the Professor.

"Ersula Harris, come here my dear."

I feel glued in the spot I stand in as the hundreds of eyes find my little shape quivering behind the headmaster. Alas, with much courage, I do as Professor Dumbledore instructs and timidly walk over to him.

"Hold still now," Dumbledore whispers.

Before I can fathom the situation I'm in, a big floppy brown hat is brought to hover onto my head. The hat wriggles around as it thinks of which house I should be sorted in, if I'm being honest, I'd be confused if I were him.

"Nervous are we?" The hat announces, "Harris, is it?"

"Yes."

"You're as torn as I am, I suppose... Daring, trusting, Gryffindor? Determined, ambitious, Slytherin." He whispers to me, "The decision is yours to make."

Now that's not what I was expecting in the least. I'm so shy and quiet, I should be a Hufflepuff, I'm not smart so not Ravenclaw, and everyone knows Gryffindor is brave. But Slytherin? They're menaces to this society, cruel to those who aren't suited to their ranks, and let's face it, a bunch of bloody entitled brats. How am I even remotely close to being a Slytherin..? Perhaps this adds to the long list of questions I already have about who I am. My inherited traits are from whoever my parents are, they split me in half. That could literally mean my parents are total opposites in the world of Hogwarts.

I gaze between the crowds of seated students and scan their faces. They're all as inquisitive as I am at this rate to know where I go, I've never really belonged anywhere before after all. And I don't suppose I can change my mind after this.

Slytherin looks over at me with a sort of yearning while Gryffindor almost seem reluctant... Who am I kidding, I know who I want to be, right? Neither house will change that, I should just pick one without overthinking it.

"Should I pick for you?" Yes, "Slytherin!"

Wait what!? Curse this hat for reading my mind! However, in any case, I would've just said yes... Or, maybe he sees something I don't within myself, maybe I am just meant to be in Slytherin. Which makes no sense to me, is that who I am?

The house parades at hearing the hats declaration, leaving me to walk over to their table and immediately get bombarded with welcoming arms. Many of them pat my shoulder, smiling my way. They also make a lot of spots for me to sit, not all of them could possibly want me to sit next to them, do they? I suppose I've never felt this welcome before...

I find a free seat between a couple of girls when I'm stopped before sitting. A rather tall boy (or at least compared to me), with blond slick back hair, not a speck of dust on his robes, and a stride with the power of a stampede. He's trying to intimidate me with his narrow gaze, stopping feet together in front of me. I'm actually quite tall for a girl, come to think of it but I've never felt shorter, especially with him standing about a foot and a half away... This is definitely an act of domination. 

"Harris," He calls, "Word of advice, follow my rules and you'll be treated equally, cross the line and I'll mop the floors with you." He threatens, bounding me in his shadow.

"Welcome to Slytherin."