XI

Everyone's asleep and I'm in the Slytherin common room all by myself. The fireplace is so warm and comforting, however, my mind isn't being very nice to me. I'm over thinking about my parents now that it's becoming apparent to more than just the girls that me being quite a mystery is suspicious, finding a solution to that problem is proving to be difficult. Especially now at 2:00am when I should be sleeping so that I may focus on my end term of tests tomorrow.

I sigh, frustrated and move my legs from the floor to bend beside me when I hear footsteps shuffling down the boys dorm stairs. I have a feeling I know who it may be and don't bother looking up.

Things between Malfoy and I have been vaguely the same since the accident but at the same time, they've dialed down. I hadn't really prepared myself to meet the almost pleasant and quiet side of him.

"Oh it's you." By the sounds of things, he's startled to know someone else is in the room with him.

Only now I choose to look up at him. I don't reply, just stare blankly at him before returning my gaze to the dancing flames. He takes a seat on the far right arm chair and leans over onto his knees with the support of his elbows. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's about to make conversation with me. But I do, so I know what he's really going to do is mock, threaten, or repulse me.

"So why are you up so late?"

I remain silent as I am really speechless, he is trying to make casual conversation. Maybe he wants something.

"Couldn't sleep."

I see him nod from the corner of my eye, should I ask him why he's up too? I'm indecisive having not found any casual ground with this one before, besides, I'd still like to beat him up for all the shit he's caused me. So why should I?

"And why's that?"

What is this boy up to? I roll my head towards him, my eyes shooting daggers.

"Since when do you care... At all, may I ask?"

"I don't care, forget I asked."

His tone is different tonight, he's not angry. I take a long few seconds to dwell in the silence before I speak again.

"Then why'd you ask in the first place?"

He looks up from the ground to find my eyes again, "Just wondering if it was the same as me."

It's like he's begging me to ask him why he's awake.

I roll my eyes, "Why can't you sleep?"

"Nightmares."

I pout and then frown, "Me too."

"What about?"

"You first."

He scoffs, "Not happening."

"Well then, forget I asked because I don't care either."

With that, I get up from my seat and begin back to my dormitory. I had this weird feeling that he'd try to stop me and while I walked to the staircase I felt my pace slow down as if I were hoping he would. But, I made it up the stairs and climbed into bed not long before I finally fell asleep.

I was pretty much completely prepared for my recurring nightmares to return but this time it was different...

The bald man stands at the ready the way he always is, his wand aiming right at me and with gusto, he spits his spells at me. I've never met him nor do I know who he is but I know he's my enemy, even if his wand rested in its holder, I know deep down in the pits of my lost soul that I could never trust him...

Our battle commences onward until the point where I get tired of knocking back his spells like I always do, his final efforts to capture me, successful. My wand whisks through the air and my body falls still, frozen in place. The man raises his wand and screams the spell into the air and lets it shoot towards me. I know my fate, I'm here to die. But he appeared so quickly and the spell was counteracted. There, right beside me stood Malfoy. Our eyes meet.

"Eris!"

"Eris wake up!"

My eyes shoot open but I don't jolt or gasp. In front of me, scared to death, is Pansey.

"Are you okay? You were shaking and you're all sweaty again."

I take a look around to see the room is empty, only then do I see that Pansy is in her uniform.

"What time is it?" I ask.

"7:44."

"Shit!"

I've never jumped out of bed and gotten ready so fast. Pansy and I run to the great hall where we make it just in time to take our exams. I'm sleep deprived and frankly a bit distracted by the occurrences of my nightmare... Well, to be honest, this wasn't such a nightmare. Except, I'd have preferred to be saved by someone else other than Malfoy yet he still rescued me. But why?

He hates my guts nearly as much as I hate his but then he'll make conversation with me, change his tone, and avoid bringing up nearly killing me because of... Regret? He doesn't care about me at all, doesn't he? I know he doesn't, after everything he's displayed, he couldn't give a continental fuck about anyone but himself. But. No buts.

But.