Chapter Four - Senior Year

Julia's POV

September 5th, 2017

Loud rap music sounded through Ethan's car, and a bendy book was grasped between my fingers. Today was my first day of senior year, and to be honest, I'm relieved. I hate having to do things within a limited amount of time, and I like getting stuff done on my own. The bass was blaring through Ethan's speakers as I paused my reading. Definitely not my favorite kind of music, but I always take control of the music, and Ethan deserved a chance.

"What'cha reading, Julie?" He looked over at me for a slight second before diverting his eyes back to the road. I flipped the page to the next chapter.

"Red Queen."

"Sounds mysterious."

"It's not spooky, actually." Ethan nodded as we pulled up into the parking lot of school. As I grabbed my bag, zipping it shut with my book inside, Ethan touched my arm, making me turn my face. He took my chin between his two fingers and leaned in, pressing his lips to mine. My breath hitched after he let go. "Why don't we get our schedules?" I asked, breaking the silence. Ethan agreed and leaned in once more, but got stopped to see one of his friends pushing on the hood of his car, mocking us.

As we got out, Ethan showed him the finger and cursed at him, making me burst into a fit of laughter. Kat wasn't at school yet, so we grabbed our schedules, Ethan a few sections away from me on the alphabetized table.

After we checked our schedules, we had the same lunch, fifth, and sixth period. Which sucked, because mornings were when I needed Ethan to encourage me not to pass out in class. Grayson and Kat texted us their schedules on the group chat. Luckily, I had Gray second period, and Kat first and fourth. So I would only be by myself in third period, unless..

"JULIA HOLLIS, DON'T YOU DARE WALK AWAY FROM US!" I heard a quite feminine voice holler from behind Ethan and me. I turned to see the aesthetically pleasing human, Samuel. And of course, joined by Toni and Caleigh. Toni's hair was dyed a shade of strawberry red, with black roots, and Caleigh sported some new bangs. Why didn't I get a haircut? I have boring hair.

"I wish I changed my hair," I said sadly to Ethan.

Ethan smiled, "You don't have to, I love it. But if it makes you happy, I'll even pay for it myself." He grabbed my hand, and I smiled up at him.

"And, to think," Caleigh interjected as they neared us, "You couldn't stand this man on the first day of school."

"Oh god," Sam complained, "She would whine about how annoying he was. Every. Single. Day." Ethan got super offended, and I told him I don't feel that way anymore. Freaking Sam.

I laughed and the bell soon rang, leaving me to find my classroom through the crowded halls once again. Finding my blonde-haired sister in the classroom, I sat next to her and took out my notebook, beginning to write notes about American Government. I soon spaced out, thinking about college. What was I going to do with my life? What am I interested in?

I loved my mom's job.. Doctors helped others, and I do want to help people. What about a lawyer? Or a police officer? I really needed to think this through, I was a Senior, for god's sake. College is going to come soon. I begin to refocus back to real life. I suddenly felt fidgety and claustrophobic. Why? I had taken my.... Oh no. I didn't this morning. I forgot, I was in a rush. I had backup meds in my backpack. I poked Kat with my pencil, "Kat, I forgot to take my meds this morning," she looked at me with a hint of concern in her face.

"Just go to the bathroom, your backup ones are in the front pocket. Mom asked me to put them in there, since you took them out at the beginning of break."

"Thank you, I love you-"

"Is there a problem, Miss..." My teacher checks the seating chart, "Hollis?" He sets the clipboard down, and the entire class turns to look at me. Thanks, Mr. whatever your name is.

I cleared my throat, "Sorry, um, can I go to the bathroom?" He gives me a look, so clearly I'll be watched by him.

"Make it quick," He bites, and I grab my bag, going down the hall and into the white bathroom. I open the pocket in my backpack, taking out the orange container. I take the white pill in my shaking hands and gulp it down with water from my water bottle.

"Well, isn't it the slut herself." The door opens and Addison appears. God, looking at her feels like venom is searing through my eyes. I guess she's back, and for what she did to Kat, I will always hate her.

"Get out of my way." I try to walk past her, but she doesn't budge.

She giggles, "I think I'd rather have a bit of fun with you."

I grit my teeth, "Addison, if you don't get out of my way, I will rip your face in two."

"Is that a threat?" She laughs maniacally, "Go on. Try me." I get angrier by the second, and what I do takes her breath away. I swing my back my arm, and with full force, I slap her face. Her skin turns red from the impact, blood rushing to her face. I walk out of the bathroom while she's still down, my panicked breaths sounding through the hall.

- -

hello, i'm back guys! i hope you're all doing well, and i didn't post last week just out of respect for sean. i know that the twins will miss him, and my heart goes out to them. stay strong if you guys are struggling with anything. i love you.

-tashi <3