Getting ready for the big day

A month later~

A month later~

White ribbons and fabrics hung from the trees. Red carpet covered the aisle I walked down, and soft music played in the background. The tail of my veil fluttered as a gentle breeze blew. At the end of the aisle stood the man of my dreams with a smile on his face. He took my hands and leaned in.

I leaned in.

Our lips almost met.

His face started turning into a swirl, everything else getting sucked into it. 'Oh, no, no, wait! What's going on?'

The gentle music in the background was replaced with 'The death of a bachelor... oh oh... letting the water fall... The death of...' and a distant voice called, 'Ember! Ember...'

My body joggled. "Wake up! Come on, Ember! It's your wedding day!"

"Mhm... I know. I'm getting married nowmm..." I turned around and pulled the blanket over my face.

"What? Get up now, or you'll be late for your wedding," came my mother's voice.

My eyes fluttered open. Wedding? Late? Realization hit me, and I jumped out of the bed in a swift motion. A gasp left my mouth as I flew through the air and landed face first on the floor, pain shooting through my forehead.

Ouch!

Looking up, I rubbed my forehead and frowned at my phone ringing, the 'Death of a bachelor' song set as the ringtone. Mom stood by the end of the bed, face hidden behind the wedding dress in her hands as the sound of laughing erupted from her.

"It was the blanket's fault!" I pouted.

Shaking her head, she placed the dress on the bed gently and glided her hand over the fabric, an adoring expression laced her face.

"Mom?" I called concerned when a single tear rolled down her cheek.

"Oh, I am fine," she waved her hand dismissively, "Go, go, take a shower. Ana and Beth will be here in five minutes, and you should take the call, hon. They're probably trying to wake you up," saying that mom proceeded to leave the room.

"Mom," I called, a knot started to form in the pit of my stomach and a tug at my heart.

She stopped and turned around to look at me. "Yes, darling?" A frown made its way into her forehead as she saw my expression, and her feet moved back towards me. She sat herself beside me on the floor and touched my cheek. "What's wrong? Feeling nervous?"