The party

Knock knock

Knock knock.

Dragging my eyes from the pages of another book I found in that old shelf, I glanced at the clock.

11:30 pm.

Who the heck had the nerve to disturb my reading time at this late at night?

Grumbling, I dragged myself out of the comfort of the bed and headed to the door. Swinging the door open, I opened my mouth to give the miserable person a piece of my mind but stopped, my eyes widening and mouth hanging open as wide as was my door. Outside my room stood Hunter in a dark blue, silk pajama set.

Was I seeing right, or did the book fall on my face too hard earlier?

Bringing my hands behind my back, I pinched on one and winced from the unpleasant pain. He was really there. But why? Could it be, at last, he had come to his senses that I was his wife, and he should be interacting more with me than just passing 'hellos' and cold glares?

"Hi," he spoke in his calm, calculated voice.

"H-hi," I stuttered and inwardly face palmed myself. I needed to teach my tongue a lesson first.

"Tomorrow we are going to a party. Be ready by 6."

I blinked. Cheesecakes! Did he just say he was taking me to a party? I pinched myself once again rather glad over the pain. "Okay..." I nodded like a bewitched puppy, a smile creeping up my face.

Wait...What the heck was I doing? I was supposed to be mad at him.

Curse those crush hormones!

He turned around to leave but stopped and glanced sideways. "Don't be late. I don't like tardiness." Then walked away.

I scowled, suppressing the urge to yell 'Yes, sir!' at his retreating back. Demanding son of a gun! Closing the door, I sighed. I didn't understand his bipolarity. One day yelling at me and the next wanting to take me to a party. Nevertheless, I was happy he was making progress.

I couldn't wait for tomorrow.

***

I sat in front of the mirror as a maid did my make up. Karen stood beside like a cop waiting for one to make a mistake and she would pounce. My legs and arms hurt from trying at least thirty dresses since Karen kept making faces at each of them until I came out wearing a red velvet high slit maxi dress with an open back and a silver belt around the waist. This time I was the one making faces at it being too open. Of course, she paid no heed because according to her, this was our first time going out together, and I had to look stunning.

An involuntary smile tugged at my lips. Perhaps he was trying finally, trying to make our relationship work. The red light of suspicion hadn't turned off yet, but I shoved it aside for now.

"Perfect!" Karen's voice snapped me back from my thoughts.

I looked at her beaming face, then back at the mirror. Whoa! She did a damn good job. My brown hair was styled in waves, the smokey eyeshadow grazed my eyelids, and the red lipstick matched my dress.