i. one

a heart can be such a beautifully destructive thing

i barely remember the day, or was it night? i met you. it might have been a loud halloween festival that i stumbled upon you and million of other faces. it might've been some random day that i brushed past you and smiled. however we met, it wasn't some sort of galactic bang. it was quiet, two stars that shot past each other silently, cosmic dust brushing against each other. it was forgettable.

but i remember you. you were someone i found in the midst of a darkness, a little light. and i cherished you.

we laughed, we joked, we texted, we got in trouble, we lent shoulders, we held hands, we shared beds, we did everything together, and i loved you. to me, you were a sunset about to drown in the sea. orange light flaring across the water as lilac and pink stretched into the sky. you were the clink of root beer and peach juice. you were a roaring fire, and when you left, bits of you remained, like ashes dancing in the air.

and you left.

(please know that you took a bit of me with you)

it's hard. i'm not going to try forgetting you. i could never do that. how could anyone. but there's a dull ache in me, wearing away. you left a ghost of you here. i remember friday pizza, where we sat on top of that tiny supply shack that you always struggled to get down of. how you scraped your arms when you finally did. and how you refused to climb on top of it again after that. i remember where you sat when we had lunch, taking the little round pillar with the sun setting i drew on it. oddly ironic isn't it? we both knew we would leave each other, it was inevitable. you were the sun, and the sun always sets.

but the sun always rises. and i hope by some miracle that I'll be there when you do.

we told each other almost everything, our life plans, our dreams, bits of our past. so one day, i hope we meet again, don't know where, don't know when. and i know it won't be the same, but it will be something. and i want there to be something.