iv. four

i find sunflowers to be so unappreciated

yes, they are ugly. yes, they are large. no, they are not exquisite. no, they are not divine. but you know what? i think it's okay they're not the prettiest flower out there, that they are towering and awkward. it's the idea that they're always there, swaying in the sun. a field of bitterly happy roots reaching for the sky.

i don't think sunflowers would reach for the stars though, but maybe that's just me. stars seem so ethereal, sunflowers are such down to earth plants that i wonder. they reach for the sky, but they're happy where they are. they don't need more, they don't need less. they face the sun, a pallet of yellow and brown, and the sky knows this.

but there's this sweet kinda sadness when looking at sunflowers, does it remind you of home? even if it has no semblance to your past, your present? does it radiate this feeling of familiarity? something that resonates deep within your bones and awakens an ache that you never learned the name of? or did you just cycle down the road, eyes unmoving from the dusty stones lining the dirt, your bruised brain unwilling to relive the past. or maybe, you just felt nothing at all. i wouldn't be surprised, sunflowers aren't required to be the best flower out there after all.

but all in all, some people don't seem to notice any of this. i think that their eyes just skim past the fields, not exactly hoping to see new flowers, but wanting to pass the field of yellow. and i suppose that's okay, finding the beauty in something you love is important, even if others don't.