Chapter Ten

HOSPITAL VISITS

Richie's heart dropped and his blood ran cold as he eyes read over the fatal word. 

"Maya! Don't eat that!" He shouted, smacking smacking the chocolate bar out of her hand. It was too late. 

"Shit!" Richie cursed.

Her eyes widened as she quickly turned to him, her facial expression was panicked. She pointed to her throat as tears started to build up in her eyes.

Richie's heart started to beat faster and faster as he stood up. He searched through his pockets frantically. 

"Oh shit, oh fuck, oh shit, fuck shit fuck.." His hands continued to frantically look for the thin object, "where the hell is it?"

Relief filled him as his hand landed on something cold on his inner shirt pocket. He quickly pulled it out as he turned to Maya. Her face had already become red and swollen, as well as her neck and throat. Tears were freely falling down her face as she began gasping for air.

Richie gasped lightly as he ripped the lid of of the small object and got on his knees. He was sure his breathing has stopped by the time he stabbed it into her upper thigh and pushed the button all the way down. He looked up at the girl and the panic quickly set in again. 

"Maya? Maya! Shit, shit, shit, shit!" Richie shouted as he stood up quickly. Her eyes had closed.

He darted inside the arcade, shoving a man out of the way as he ran up to the counter.

"I need you to call nine one one!" He huffed out breathlessly. "My friend just had an allergic reaction."

The worker's once bored eyes widened as he picked up the phone quickly. He barely caught the end of the conversation as he was already out of the arcade and by her side again. 

Those agonizing few minutes were torture for Richie as he clutched the girl, making sure she was still breathing. 

Not soon enough, the ambulance came barreling down the street. Stopping in front of the arcade two people stepped out of the back. One pulled a stretcher out as the other walked quickly towards Richie. 

He absentmindedly let go of Maya and they loaded her onto the stretcher. The first quickly put an oxygen mask over her face and the second looked towards Richie.

"Can I come? I need to come! Please!" Richie begged, stepping forward and clasping his hands together. 

"Relationship to the patient?" The first paramedic asked, skeptically. The second one whispered something to him, causing him to nod and motion for Richie to get inside the vehicle. 

"What happened?" The man demanded, working on getting Maya stable.

"I-I don't know! She ate the candy.. she's allergic to peanuts.. there were peanuts in it.." Richie mumbled, staring down at the girl.

"Did she have an epi pen on her?" The woman asked, kinder than the man.

"I do- did, I did" Richie answered. 

The woman nodded as they continued to ask about what had happened.

The ride to the hospital was a blur, and before he knew it, they were there. 

The doctors and nurses quickly took her into a room as Richie watched with his hands folded on the top of his head.

"Sir? Are you okay?" A kind Asian woman asked, bending down to meet his eye level.

"No! No I'm not okay! My best friend is in there! Is she gonna die? She can't die! I know it's just a peanut allergy, b-but she stopped breathing!" Richie rushed out, not breaking his eye contact from the door.