Chapter 3

warnings: vague description of murder

The lack of motivation and recognition, the lack of interest on this generation is what fuels our minds. You don't hear it from the young, their opinions don't matter. We're young, rebellious and stupid. But what they don't count is that, when tomorrow comes, we will be the ones ruling over. We will be the ones in the shadows, taking out the trash, making the world see itself as we see it. And what we see it fucking scary.

Looking at my reflection, I put on my uniform and pull my ginger hair in a high ponytail, letting some loose curls fall free, adorning my face. I walk into the study hall, as I pass Billy; I hit him on the back of the head. He gives me the finger and a chuckle, pointing at the book he is vandalizing. Silently, I slip in the seat in front of the brunette boy who tries to talk with a Kuroki Syndicate kid.

"They're not friendly, don't even try. The only tolerable one is Saya, she'll warm up eventually." I tell him. His eyes meet mine before pulling his sketchbook towards him. "Can I see, or is it too personal?"

"Sorry." He shakes his head closing it.

"No worries." I brush it out, leaving my black bag on the table. "I get it. It suits you, you know? The whole mysterious indie artist, chicks dig that."

"I'm no artist."

"You'll be. Maybe not the one you want to become. In this fucked-up way, we all are artists."

"Violent sociopaths who instead of telling something to the world, they murder." He says sarcastically.

"Violence can too be an art. And there's no bigger statement in this world than death. There's nothing more tragically beautiful either." I state grabbing the pen he had on his hand and making little drawings on the table.

We stay in silence until we hear the librarian scream at Billy for the dick filled book. I look up to see Marcus smiling, turning my head I see the drawing she had on her cheek, making me giggle softly. When I turn my head back, I see him staring at me, I hand him the pen back and wink at him before grabbing the back and make my way out of there.

AP Black Arts was always dreadful, even less amusing than poison's class and that's saying something. We sit in silence, hearing Willie talk about his assignment. A low life homeless man, he killed him, dumped him on a dumpster, set it on fire. From where I was sitting, I could see Marcus. His body language was full in display, and it was obvious he was angry. Uncomfortable, fighting something on his own in that head of his.

When Willie finishes, Master Lin stares at me. "Hela, you completed your test too. Talk us through it."

Sighting, I get up from my sit, walking in front of the class. I look at Lin and he nods, giving me permission to start.

"Jonathan Dudgart: middle school professor, married with two kids between three and five years old. The kids had a file at the children hospital, weekly visits to the ER. His wife, she was too afraid to go outside the house. Two days ago I broke in, found files, homemade movies: middle school children, high schoolers, boys and girls." I inform them, my voice as cold as ice, as my training had taught me. "Last night, when he was walking down the street, I crossed his path. As planned, he followed me to a backstreet. I grabbed him by the neck and pushed him against the wall. Clean cut across the throat, easy. No need for dramatics, it's not like the cops care anyway." I say looking at Willie.

When Master Lin nods, I walk back to my place, noticing Marcus's stare. His face gave it away, he was shocked and absent. Think about it, his eyes questioned mine, as if he was thinking if I was truly capable of doing what I said. Honey, if you only knew what I'm capable of.

Master Lin dismisses us, disappointed on those who had not completed the task, or whose results disappointed him. When he asks Willie to stay and dismisses me, him and Marcus exchange glares, and that's all I need to confirm my suspicions. Marcus did it, and his conscience was betraying him.

"C'mon." I tell him, grabbing his arm and moving him to the door.

When we go outside, the gates close around us, and the lights go off. I look at Saya who looks back at me nodding. Grabbing one of the knifes I have hidden on the holster on my right thigh under my skirt; I look at the rest of them, keeping the brunette close to me.

"I'm alive without breath and cold as death. I'm never thirsty but always drinking. What am I? To pass this quiz and survive the poison gas, you need to make it to the botanical classroom and answer that riddle in five minutes." Lin's voice says through the speakers as the lethal gas starts to leak through the ventilation system.

"Okay, control your heart rate and take it slow." Saya tells him, as he's never done this before.

"Hey, I-I think I can help."

"I think you can screw off. What is this loser Rat doing in AP class?"

"Shut up, you bitch." I spat at her as the boy grabs her hair holder and picks the lock, opening the gate.

We could start to feel the effects pf the poison on us. I look back to Maria, sending her a glare when I see the blood coming out of her nose, but she nods and smiles, trying to reassure me. When Marcus starts to cough and bloods appear on his hand, I grab his tie and bring it up to his face, trying to cover his mouth.

"Breathe through your mouth and through this, okay?"

"What about you?" he asks but does as I say

"We had more practice and more resistance to this than you. This isn't my first poisoning attempt, Marcus."

When we reach the hall, we carefully walk to the botanic class, trying to not set off the traps hidden everywhere. But the brunette boy steps on one, making the door, start to close, and two teachers appear, ready to fight us.

The boys go right at them and get their ass kicked, naturally. Saya throws a kick repeatedly, making one of them step back. I grab the end of the stick and turning on it, I kick the teacher on the side, but soon enough the stick makes contact with my head, making me fall. I see Saya kicking the teacher again, trying to make him fall. But he throws her to the ground, and Marcus appears, kicking him on the front and I grab him by the chest, making him flip back and fall harshly on his back.

"C'mon, c'mon." he urges me, helping me to get up as I feel the blood coming down my nose. Saya is right in front of us, and I can see Maria too, making me feel a little of relieve.

When we finally arrive to the class, we open the door desperate. They all go through the plants, watching which one is the antidote. I see Saya fall down, and I run to her side, checking her pulse. Barely breathing but still there, crawling towards Maria, I do that same. I see Marcus walk towards the violet plant with the fish on it before he falls to his knees. Next thing, I see Chico kicking him, making him fall down. I get up and walk towards him, but he falls to the ground.

"I hope you die." I tell him honestly before reaching the plant. Quickly, I pull one branch and grab some leaves, eating them. The pain goes away, and I give them to Maria, who is now standing beside me as she pulls them in her moth relieved. "Saya first." The Mexican girl nods and runs to our friend as I go towards Marcus.

When I pull them in his mouth and make him swallow them, I go around, giving them to the other students. Thinking twice when it comes to Brandy, but Maria gives me a warning look, making my eyes roll. I step back, and I see the only one left is Chico, who's convulsing and nearly dead. I shake my head, but Maria finally gives him the antidote, keeping him alive against all common sense.

When Marcus awakes gasping for air, I help him sit up, giving him a little smile. "Congratulations, you passed your first test."

"I hate this school." I hear Saya say in a breathy voice, making me chuckle and nod in total agreement.