Chapter 12

A/N: there's going to be some modifications about what happened in vegas between Maria and Marcus. They never went as far as they show on the episode, they just kissed but it won't change anything more.

It's been a month since Vegas, and everybody was freaking out for various reasons. The main issue was, we were all on edge because of Maria. Wecouldn't really blame her, but we did blame her. She was acting out, keeping a low profile was no longer working, and people knew about the whole tension between Marcus and Chico. Words were being spoken, and soon accusing fingers would follow. 

Personally, I haven't talk with Marcus during the last month. He's busy keeping Maria sane, but he tries. He tries to corner me sometimes, to make me talk to him. It's not like I was trying to avoid him, I was trying to save him the jealousy attacks Maria tends to have, but he's not getting it. He even tried to guilt Billy into talking to me for him. Which was unpleasant, as I've spend the last month glued to him and Petra, occasionally Saya too.

But I had bigger more important things to worry about. It's been a month and a day since I last heard about Henrik. Part of me wanted to deny the truth, convincing myself he was okay, unharmed, alive. But I knew better, if he was still alive, the kind of pain and torture he'd have endured, I couldn't bring myself into thinking he was alive. It would be selfish to hope that, he didn't deserve the pain that came with it.

I talk with my father more now, our monthly call turned into weekly or daily, depending on our mood. He was in New Orleans, dealing with some business we had to dodge, thanks to my lovely mother and her betrayals. He wanted to come and see me, but I always tell him no, it wasn't a good moment for the DuBois getting together, not without our missing piece.

"Girls are like Schrödinger's cat." I hear Billy say as I walk to the yard, where he and Marcus are smoking. "They both do and do not want you to do the exact thing they asked. It's like religion. God asks you to do a bunch of arbitrary shit, like not eat shrimp or let linen touch wool. If He asked you to do things that you'd do anyway, where's the faith?"

"Is there some advice hidden in all this?"

"What he means, Romeo." I tease leaving the backpack on the ground and graving the joint form Billy's mouth. "Is that if you want to you know, make her happy, give her something. But not something you buy, something meaningful like music that makes you think of her, girls like that."

"You're talking to me now?"

"And that's my cue; I don't want to see this." Billy says, patting my shoulder as he passes me. I lean back; watching him as he nervously takes some steps near me, standing dangerously close. 

"I've been busy, the world keeps moving, you are not the center of mine, Arguello."

"I tried talk to you."

"I know. You shouldn't. Trust me; your girlfriend won't like it."

"So this is what it's about?" he asks chuckling. "Look I wanted to explain myself."

"You don't have to. We weren't dating, you don't have to explain anything, what happened, messing around, it was nothing but harmless fun."

"It was something for me." He strongly says before taking a deep breath. "Look, in Vegas, something happened and I freaked out, I ran to the room and Maria was there. We talked and for a second, half a second, I wanted to kiss her and I did. But then I- I tried to push her away when things got out of hand, and that's when Chico came." He explains moving his hands nervously making me chuckle at his nervousness.

"Hey, breath." I try to calm him down. "Marcus, you're dating her now, focus on that."

"I like you, Hela." He finally says his voice shaking and breathy. His hand goes to my cheek, caressing it carefully. "And sure, Maria is nice, but I like you. Since the party, since you told me to cry it out.I like you. It's you."