Chapter 17

A/N:  there's like 4/5 chapters left fo the book. Do you think the story is good, was it better in early chapters, has it lost strenght...? any constructive opinion is welcomed :))

Time passes slow as fuck when you're trapped inside a room with a sleeping Russian jock, a whinny boy complaining about Marcus poor music's choice and, of course, the boy who doesn't want to talk with you, no matter how you try. Funniest way to spend the day, I'll tell you that.

Standing from the bed, I grab one of the chips in front of Viktor and I move to sit on the floor, next to Marcus. Doesn't matter how hostile he could get with me we were going to talk, he didn't have much of a choice due to our current situation.

"I was an ass. I shouldn't have said that, it was cruel and uncalled for. I'm sorry." I apologize but he doesn't look at me, he's too busy trying to get the door open. I see his head move slightly, nodding at my words, making me smile a little bit. "When I said I had better things to do... It's messy to explain."

"Try me." He replies drily. 

I sigh, moving even closer to him, nearly sitting on his lap. I lower my voice, barely a whisper leaving my lips. He would hear since we were close, but it was sure none of the others would. For them, it would looke like we were plotting. Or making out.

"I have a brother. He's ten, he likes to paint and is part of the theater kids back at the boarding school." I say smiling, thinking about how excited Henrik was when he told me he was going to play Tom Sawyer. "My... My mother, she never really loved us, you know? Before Vegas, when you were in detention with Saya, she came to me. Whenever Mikaela appears, trouble follows. She told me she sold us, she betrayed the DuBois League, he betrayed my father, me, her son. Worst of it, she handed Henrik to Kenji, Saya's brother, as leverage for us, for her to get a way out. The night before Vegas, a package was left on my room; inside there was the ring I gave Henrik when I first came here, three years ago. There was also his middle finger and a note" I keep telling him, my voice trembling slightly, telling him about my family, about me; it felt different, as if I was scared he'd judge me.

"Shit." I hear him say.

"While you were high in Vegas, I contacted one of my father's contacts, told me Yukio could know something. Last night, when I said I had better things what I meant is that I needed to get Yukio's information before-"

"Before Maria killed him."

"Yeah." I confirm sighting, we stay in silence for a while, his eyes are in me but now it's me who doesn't look at him.

"Who's Daniel? You said you were with him last night." He asks and I grin slightly at his jealous tone.

"Daniel's my dad. I talked to you about him, his training. He came to San Francisco to deal with the business we had to re-arrange. He followed me and approached me after I left Yukio's club. Attacked me actually."

"And you said he didn't want to kill you?"

"Unprepared training is important, always keep your walls up and stay sharp." I tell him, resting my head against the wall.

"Yeah, I noticed the walls up." Marcus snaps; a trace of bitterness on his words.

"I'm working on it. Look, I'm better at manipulating people than connecting with them; I take after my mother on that. It took me a lot of time to be on the level of comfort that I am with Billy, Saya and the others." I explain, my hazel eyes meting his dark ones. "With you... it was different okay? Different is scary."

"Different can be a good thing, you know? Anyways, that doesn't explain why you've been pushing me away, why you act like whatever happened was never there. I know you felt it too." He keeps the bitter tone, but I can hear hope and frustration over it.