Chapter 3 (Pt. 1) - iPod Shuffle, 2nd Generation

Or the alternative chapter title for all you kiddies that have no clue what an iPod Shuffle is... Memories Serve Their Purpose

  ---------------------------------------------------------

Summer 2011

I was woken up by the sound of my little sister Kayla busting down my door with so much force that it flew off its hinges and lodged into the wall opposite of the doorway. My eyes shot open quickly with shock. After the chaos settled down, my eyes turned to slits as I glared at her, throwing daggers at her soul... that is... if she even had one. "What do you want?!" I questioned her angrily.

"Father has prepared breakfast," she responded swiftly. "He requests your presence at the island located in the room where the food is prepared."

"You mean the kitchen?" I asked to confirm.

"Precisely," she confirmed.

I stared at her for a moment. Her speech sounded so unnatural, so inhuman. "Kaaaayyylaaaa," I began, "have you been playing around with dark magic and experimenting with satanism again? Are you possessed? You know Mom and Dad don't like it when you dabble in the dark arts and invite evil spirits and demons in the house."

Her eyebrow twitched and each eye blinked individually, one after the other. "I am not," she replied in a totally not demonic way. She started levitating off the floor and floated down the hallway away from my bedroom.

I groaned and stretched out on my bed. My feet hung over the end of the bed. It annoyed me that I just turned thirteen and was already the size of a full grown Sasquatch. As if being twelve years old and over six feet tall wasn't bizarre enough, I thought to myself. The foul sound of a giant truck coming to a screeching halt next door startled me, spooking me into a state of full awareness. I figured it was a moving truck, but I hadn't heard one of those in these parts in a hot minute. Nobody ever moved here. It was too niche of a suburb and stupidly expensive, too. In fact, every house on this street, with the exception of mine, of course, has been empty my whole life. I never had neighbors, which was weird. It was also weird that nobody but us could afford to live in this neighborhood for so long, but I guess all that changed. 

I reluctantly got out of bed and walked over to the window. My prediction was correct; there was, in fact, a U-Haul truck parked in front of the house next door. There was also an Ikea truck, which was slightly off-putting. Nobody in this area bought cheap furniture... Then again, we were the only family on the block and I'm pretty sure we had money.

I left my room and made my way down the stairs to the kitchen where my father waited. When I entered the room, he was just setting a plate of pancakes down on the island. His big brown eyes looked up at me and he smiled."Good morning, Jimmy!" he greeted me cheerfully. He straightened his posture and put his hands on his hips. "You got here just in time. You're usually not awake this early, especially during summer break. For a minute, I thought I'd have to send your sister up to get you."

I looked at him with confused eyes. "Kayla did come get me up," I clarified. "She said you wanted me to come to the kitchen."