Chapter 5 (Pt. 2) - Hoedown Throwdown

Still summer of 2011

I tore apart my entire room as I searched for it, my lungs burning and my heart beating frantically as I had my very first panic attack in my life. There was no reason for me to make a mess of my room looking for my 2nd Generation iPod Shuffle when I knew damn well it fell out of my pocket next door, but I hoped and prayed that Kayla, at some point, had put a curse on it that would hide it somewhere in my room so I would make a mess of it and get in trouble with my parents. After having searched every square inch of my bedroom, leaving no paper, poster, or book unturned, I sank down onto the floor and hung my head in my hands. I started to sob uncontrollably. I wasn't so much distraught by the fact that it was gone as I was by the fact that Felix could listen through it and discover that I had Hannah Montana on it. 

It was embarrassing enough that I bopped to Hannah Montana in the first place, but to have Pewdiepie, my favorite YouTuber in the whole wide world, know that I did would have killed me. He already thought I was uncool because of my name. I couldn't fathom what he would think of me when he found out I want the best of both worlds.

Dad's head appeared in my doorway and he knocked on the door frame since my actual door was still lodged in my wall from when Kayla busted it down earlier. "Hey, Jimmy," he said softly. 

I wiped the tears from my eyes and the snot from my nose with the collar of my shirt. "Go away, Dad," I huffed. "Can't you see I'm busy having a mental/emotional breakdown?"

Mom peeked his head in from the other side of the doorway. "Quit being an angsty little bitch," he said with an eye roll. "The new neighbors invited us over for dinner and we are going whether you want to or not."

Dad furrowed his brows at Mom. "Prince, we have to be more considerate of our son's feelings," Dad responded. 

"Mikey, darling," Mom replied as he put a hand on Dad's shoulder, "listen. I get that. But we aren't going to be the asshole neighbors. We are going to let them make the wrong move first so that they will be the assholes, and then we can ignore them and not feel bad about it."

Dad narrowed his eyes. "That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. We should go to the dinner because we are polite, not because we're waiting for them to fuck up."

"OMG, can you guys talk about this somewhere else?" I asked with frustration through labored breaths.

"I'm going to go round up the demon child," Mom said to Dad. "You get this one ready." His head disappeared.

Dad shook his head and came into my room. He sat down on the floor next to me. "Just breathe," he said sweetly to me. "Focus on breathing."

I did as he said hesitantly, but to my surprise, it was actually working. My brain was still a mess, but at least my lungs were getting the oxygen they needed. "Thanks, Dad, but I don't wanna talk about it," I said, preemptively dismissing the inevitable and obligatory "what's wrong, buddy?"

Dad nodded his head and patted my back. "You know where to find me if you need me. Now please get ready to go next door for dinner. We are going to welcome these people into our neighborhood and pray that your sister doesn't send them to the underworld or unleash God knows what sort of demonic creature into their home." He stood up and dusted off the seat of his pants. "Besides, I think you'll have fun and make some new friends. Mrs. Kjellberg said her son Helix hasn't stopped talking about you since you went and visited them earlier, and he sure is looking forward to seeing you at dinner."

My cheeks burned. "What about Felix? Did they say anything about him?"

"Sorry, buddy. They didn't mention anything about him." He walked over to the doorway and looked back. "We really need to call someone to come fix your door... and the drywall." He left my room, and I returned to my regularly scheduled panicking.