Episode 1 - Part 3

EPISODE 1 : SPRING RETURNS

"Why did you have to kick me? You know my legs easily bruised," Kurt hollered as they were exiting the bus station.

"You kicked me first," replied Jacob, still unforgiving.

"I was asleep!"

"I'm sure in your dream you meant the kick."

"Wow, your grumpiness is of another level! I've been trying to be patient and understanding all morning, but all you've done was become more and more annoying. I've had enough. From now on, let's split ways and take separate cabs."

Kurt stood by the bay, waiting for a cab to arrive and intentionally ignoring Jacob.

"Stop that," Jacob said. "I know this neighborhood. The site is up ahead. We can walk."

"Ah, really, why do you always steal my light?"

After breakfast, Erin went back to her bedroom to empty the things from the suitcase, but doubtful whether she would stay for a few days or longer, she decided to leave them be. Instead, she perused the old books stocked in the top shelf and found what she wanted, her high school yearbook. Browsing the book, Erin leaped over the bed and lay down. She looked at the memorial photos she took with her schoolmates more than half of a decade ago; she grinned at how slovenly and boyish she dressed and behaved back then. Thankfully, she had a pretty face that overshadowed everything; at least, that was what her mom and friends used to tell her. Then her gaze stopped at one particular photo which she picked up. It was not printed on the yearbook, but a separate photo that was slipped in one of the pages.

"I wonder how he looked now," she beamed at the boy's wacky pose in the photo.

Erin fell asleep and woke up to the sound of her phone. Lazily, she dug the phone from the covers and answered the call. It got her to look at what time it was. "Oh, crap!" She got up so suddenly that she lost her balance and scrambled her way down the bed. "Ouch! Why didn't Mom wake me?"

Hanna tried, but she couldn't just wake her dead asleep daughter.

"Mom, I'm going out!" Erin yelled from the doorway, putting on her sneakers as she would need to run to make it there on time.

"What? Right now?" Hanna replied, coming out from the kitchen. "Aren't going you to eat before you leave?"

"No, I'm going to eat outside."

"Are you sure?"

"No time, Mom! Bye!"

"Erin, wait!" But she left anyway. "Gosh, look at that daughter of mine. I thought she came home to spend time with me, yet, she's already out of house on day one. Whom did she really come home for?"

Sighing, Hanna went back to the kitchen.

"Where are you? Are you coming or what?" a friend on the phone nagged Erin which she didn't find offensive as this was how her old friends talked in high school.