Chapter Four - Strawberries and Bruises

"Just some guy?" Toni asked not fully believing that he was 'just' some guy. By the way the two of you were talking, as little as it was, Toni could tell that there was something more between you two than acquaintances.

"His name is Ryan. We sort of used to date." You admitted. "Just, please don't tell Fangs or Sweet Pea or anyone for that matter." You pleaded not wanting anyone to find out about what happened. Let's just say, Ryan didn't bring out the best in you unlike Sweet Pea. He was no where near half the man Sweet Pea is.

"Okay." Toni sighed. She understood why you didn't want to tell Sweet Pea but not Fangs. She was about to question you about it when your phone went off.

"It's Fangs. He wants me to bring him and Sweets some Pop's." You told her reading the text you just received.

"Sweets? I haven't heard you use that nickname in a long time." Toni said picking up on the smile that appeared when you mentioned Sweet Pea. "Anyway, I better get going. This history paper isn't going to write itself." You said your goodbyes and gave a hug before she left the diner. You went and ordered and collected Fangs's order before also leaving the diner and heading home.

When you got there you almost tripped over some legs that were dangling from under your car. You immediately recognised them as Sweet Pea's because, well, they were long and unfortunately for you and your brother you weren't blessed with the gene that makes you tall unlike Sweet Pea. You nudged him in the leg with your foot to let him know you're back. "Foods here."

Sweet Pea rolled out from underneath the car, wiping his hands on the rag. He was wearing a vest, that now had grease stains on, and you could sweat glisten on his arms and chest from working on your car making your breath hitch in your throat. It took all of your will not to kiss him right then and there. "Great. I'm starving." Sweet Pea said, rubbing his hands eager to eat the burger you had gotten him. You handed him the bag and his milkshake, which he took a sip of immediately. "There's two strawberries in here. You asked for an extra?" He asked you. It threw you off slightly. You weren't expecting him to notice.

"Err, yeah... I remembered that you like having an extra one in your milkshake." You told him, looking down bashfully. Sweet Pea just smiled. Since you left no one had ordered him a strawberry milkshake with an extra strawberry. Well, no one knew that was his order except you. You were the only person to pay attention to the little things like that.

"Here." Sweet Pea said making you look up again. He held out one of the strawberries making you frown a little. "I only ordered two because you always ate mine and this way we could both have one."

You took the strawberry and thanked him. You had no clue that he did that and it gave you hope that by telling you this and the fact you were having an actual conversation meant that there was still a chance you could make it up to him. Your little moment was soon interrupted by Fangs after his own burger and milkshake. You loved your brother and all but his timing truly sucked.

Out of the corner of your eye, you could see someone standing on the other side of the road. You stepped forward a little, recognising straight away who it was. It was Ryan. He knew where you lived and now he probably knows that Sweet Pea is someone who is important to you as well as Fangs. "Is everything okay, Y/N?" Fangs asked making you glance his way before back to the road which was now empty.

"Yeah, everything's fine." You said as your attention remained on the road wondering where the hell he went. You suddenly turned around with a smile plastered on your face to make it seem everything is truly fine. "Well, I'll leave you guys to it."

-

It's been a few days since the moment on your drive. Sweet Pea has started talking to you more and even began sitting with at lunch. It wasn't like it was before you left but you were getting there. He just needed time and for once you were okay to give him that. Toni was right in saying that time is the best medicine for the thing between you and Sweet Pea.

You had just gotten out of cheer practice when you heard your phone buzz. You looked at your phone noticing five missed calls and eight text messages all from Sweet Pea. The last one a minute ago. Alarm bells rang in your head. This can't be good, you thought. You pressed call number straight away. Sweet Pea answered on the third ring but it was the longest two rings of your life. "Y/N." He answered. You could hear him hiss in pain as if he was injured.

"Where are you?" You asked, not managing to mask your worry.

"We're at the park." Sweet Pea told you. That meant Fangs was with him.

"Stay there. I'm on my way." Then you hung up, grabbing your things and leaving the changing rooms not bothering with changing out of your cheer uniform.

As you made your way to the park you were certain that you broke several traffic laws but that wasn't the most important thing to think about right now. It was Sweet Pea and Fangs who were hurt. Sweet Pea called you and you were determined to get there in a timely manner.

When you got there the sight didn't ease your worry. They were both covered in blood and bruises. Fangs worse off out of the two of them. You scrambled out of the car and hurried over to Fangs's other side helping Sweet Pea to get him into the back seat of the car. Once you got him strapped in, you made your way back to the drivers seat and Sweet Pea made his way to the passengers seat. You pulled out of the parking space and headed back to your house. Sweet Pea smirked finally taking notice of what you were wearing. "So, you're a River Vixen then?" He asked. Your eyes were focused on the road but could hear the smirk through his tone. "You look hot in that cheerleader outfit." This time you didn't feel disgust like you did with Ryan. You actually liked it. You tried to fight off heat from rising to your cheeks but ultimately failed.

You arrived at your house and brought Fangs inside telling him to go for a shower and wash off the blood leaving you and Sweet Pea in the kitchen. Sweet Pea took a seat as you got the first aid kit and other supplies you may need taking a seat opposite him. "This may sting a little." You told him as you started cleaning the cut on his face. "So who did this? Was it the Ghoulies?" You asked as you finished cleaning up that cut and went onto the next one on his hands.

Sweet Pea shook his head, wincing slightly as he bit his lip to stop the pain. "I didn't recognise these guys. I noticed one of them had a tattoo on his forearm... a group of stars with a sword down the middle or something like that." When he said that you froze which Sweet Pea noticed. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, it's fine." You managed to get out but it wasn't fine. You recognised that tattoo. Ryan had that tattoo on his forearm. You used to wear that symbol on your jacket.