15

"How are those vows coming?"Damon teased Stefan as the three brothers made their way through the tunnels

Damon teased Stefan as the three brothers made their way through the tunnels.
Stefan and Caroline were getting married later that day.
Not because they had it planned but because Katherine Pierce was back, and they believed a wedding was the only way to draw her out.
"I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Katherine won't let the ceremony get that far."
Stefan sighed as Roman gave him a sympathetic look.
"Caroline and Bonnie are probably already rehearsing. You don't want to seem unprepared."
Damon scoffed as Roman chuckled, looking around the tunnels.
"You have to plan your vows months before your wedding brother."
Roman grinned, not noticing the way Stefan's face fell.
Suddenly Damon stopped, turning to the twins.
"Look, what happened to Enzo,"
Roman took a sharp breath as his posture became rigid.
"Is going to haunt you and Roman for the rest of your lives. But the you standing with me right now, the you that's going to marry Caroline Forbes tomorrow, the you that I've known for almost two hundred years. You didn't do it."
Damon shook his head as Roman furrowed his eyebrows.
"Evil, nasty, ripper Stefan did it-"
"When you look at the big picture they are exactly the same."
Roman glared trying to push past Damon.
"Ro-"
"Look Stefan I forgive you for what you did, but you did do it. At least own it, don't blame my fiancé's death on your nonexistent alter ego."
Roman glared harshly, his brothers staring at him with wide eyes.
"I'm gonna go."
Roman mumbled, brushing by his brothers as he made his way out of the cave without looking back.

"Hey."
Roman gave a small smile as he walked up to Stefan.
Roman could see how nervous his twin was about getting married.
"I'm sorry for what I said big brother. I know you would never do something like that-"
"I get it Ro. You were just hurt."
Stefan rested a hand on his twins shoulder as Roman nodded.
"I hope I see you get married someday, maybe with Alaric."
Roman shook his head with a laugh as Stefan grinned.
"Maybe."
Roman grinned.
"You ready to get married brother?"

The three Salvatore's walked down the aisle,
Roman trailing behind his elder brothers as they talked about Katherine.
Roman was happy for Stefan, however he couldn't help the small frown on his lips.
He wanted to get married so badly, but today was about Stefan and Caroline.
Roman was happy for them, he was happy they were getting married.
Damon stood at the end of the aisle while Roman stood beside Stefan, the three brothers watching as Caroline came down the aisle.
The blonde walked up to Stefan with a wide smile, looking as beautiful as ever.
"Where did you get that necklace?"
Stefan whispered as Roman looked at what he was talking about.
"You gave it to me."
Caroline mumbled back with wide eyes.
"Care, that's Katherine's."
Roman whispered to the blonde as panic settled in his chest.
"Seems she accepted our invitation."
Damon hissed through his teeth as he looked around the venue.
"She snuck into our house?"
Caroline questioned, rubbing the back of her neck.
"She's a villain what do you expect?"
Damon gave a fake smile.
"Keep it on."
Roman hurriedly told Caroline as she tried to take it off.
"You think she's here?"
Caroline asked her best friend with wide eyes.
Roman gave a soft nod as Damon started the ceremony.
"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to witness the joining of these two epic lovebirds in official matrimony. Stefan has found the woman of his dreams, and he's going to share the rest of his human life with her. But before we begin, if anyone has any objections to this union, please speak now or forever hold your peace."
Damon paused, giving anyone time to speak up.
More specifically Katherine.
However no one did.
"Do you, Stefan, take this lovely woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"
"I do."
Stefan gave a warm smile to Caroline.
"And do you, Caroline, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"
"I do."
Caroline smiled.
"I believe that the bride and groom have chosen to write their own vows."
"We haven't."
Stefan gave a panicked look to Damon.
"Well, just wing it."
Damon grinned at them as Roman sighed.
"Caroline. You have been my my friend, my conscience, my sounding board. You saw light in me when all I saw was darkness. You saved me from despair. You told me once that I would fall madly in love without realizing it. And that's what happened. Day by day, bit by bit, year by year. With you."
Caroline laughed softly, holding back tears as Stefan gave her a soft smile.
"I remember saying that to you. We were dancing at my prom. It's funny the things we remember out of all the years that go by. I remember how you told me that when I was ready for you, you would be ready for me. I'm ready now.
I think a part of me has been ready for this day since the moment I first saw you, the new mystery guy in the hallway at school. I will always remember this moment. A hundred years from now, I will remember this moment for the both of us."
Caroline smiled widely at Stefan, Roman and Damon grinning as well.
"Princess, sunshine, rings."
Roman smiled as Lizzie and Josie ran up, handing the couple their rings.
"With this ring, I thee wed."
"With the power recently vested in me by the Commonwealth of Virginia, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss the bride, little brother."

Everyone cheered as Stefan and Caroline became officially married.
Roman and Damon shared a smile, their brother having gotten happiness.

"Why aren't you in there? You've always loved parties."
Roman let out a chuckle as Alaric sat on the ground beside him.
A few feet away was Stefan and Caroline's reception party.
"Just a little crowded."
Roman sighed loosening his tie around his neck.
"Are you okay?"
Alaric asked as Roman shrugged.
"My brother just got married, of course I'm okay."
Roman gave a smile.
"You were supposed to get married too."
Alaric whispered grabbing Roman's hand.
The Salvatore let out a sigh, looking up to Alaric.
"Yeah, I was."
Roman whispered.
Alaric squeezed the boy's hand softly watching as he took a deep breath.
"I'm happy for Stefan. I just,"
Roman trailed off shaking his head.
"You just wish Enzo was here."
Alaric finished as Roman nodded.
"You're going to get your happy ending Roman,"
Alaric whispered as his eyes met the Salvatore's.
"Even if it's not with him."
Roman stared intently at the man, neither wanting to look away.

However suddenly a loud explosion rang through their ears, the Lockwood mansion bursting into flames.
Roman quickly stood, trying to run into the burning building.
"What are you doing?"
Alaric glared grabbing his wrist.
"Lizzie and Josie are in there."
Roman gaped as they watched flames consume the building.

Everyone watched in terror as the fire slowly disappeared, Bonnie walking out with the twins.
Roman and Caroline rushed over to the girls, the Salvatore taking Lizzie in his arms.
"Oh sunshine, are you okay?"
Roman asked in a whisper as he looked over the girl.
She gave a smile and a nod as Roman pulled her into another hug.
"Princess, are you alright?"
Roman asked as he checked on the brunette.
Josie giggled and nodded as Roman grinned spinning her around.
"Don't scare your mom and dad like that again okay? We were all so worried."

In that moment Roman thought that was all Katherine had planned, and they had won.
However later that day Vicki Donovan rang the town bell, releasing hellfire into Mystic Falls.