A Dial to Remember 🎶 ORIA

A DIAL TO REMEMBER
ORIA

Note: This is based on a song [ and corresponding story ] my friend created. You should listen to his music; his works are great!

• ⊙ •

The man woke up in the desolate alley once again.

He never liked waking up in that same alley he practically lived in; it meant that he had to survive yet another day of starvation and emptiness. His economic position was no higher than the garbage surrounding him, and nobody had the generosity to give him even the leftovers of their dinner from the past night. He felt as if the world hated him--can't anyone give him what he needs to live? What had he done to suddenly live like this?

As those questions were asked in one part of his mind, another would be blaming the new government--the RdoHD. He just knew that something was suspicious about the new, "higher-ranking" folk, but it wasn't like he had any other evidence than his hollow guts. He had been starved for so long that sometimes he himself isn't certain if he was thinking right anymore. At least, his brain has been functioning nonetheless.

He slowly got up from his lying position, deciding not to stay down any longer. If there could be a kind person to give him food today, then he should take his chances. It's not like he had anything else left to lose.

His figure had awfully been reduced in the past months from the lack of food. He had lost so much weight that he looked nothing more than skin & bones under the ripped clothes he had worn for the longest time. All his possessions were taken away from him; he couldn't recall how, but he could remember people pulling him away from his own house and...

...a paper. A paper of...

...ownership, perhaps?

He couldn't recall that anyway, no matter how hard he tried. That didn't matter at the moment, however, because as a human, the first thing on your mind should be survival. For his case, it was food.

The man trodded on the streetside. His movements were so slow that he could be mistaken for a walking corpse. His sunken, hollow eyes looked at anyone and anything, unspokenly begging for anything to eat, but he'd been either waved off, insulted, or pushed back. He was already desperate for survival, and yet he was given no mercy.

How cruel.

He walked on despite the probability of rejection. He had another day before his possible death, and he wanted to die trying to the very least. It was all he ever lived for anyway--or at least that's what he remembered living for. One day he's not going to awaken in that same, desolate alley again, and he'll probably find more peace in his own death than this way of living. He loathed this New Metropolis after all, considering the circumstances he was suddenly put in.

"We will all transcend to a far better place," one of the RdoHD announced. "The New Metropolis offers more opportunities for those who wish to live peacefully than this primitive way of living. Let us apply this upgrade to your town..."

"...and you will certainly not regret this."

The scrawny man scoffed. "I call bullshit," he spoke to himself. "The New Metropolis, a better place? Utter bullshit. I was better off doing what I was already doing--selling materials and all that. If those RdoHD guys didn't come to picture, I would have--"