Chapter 4 ~ England 1730

I tugged at my corset as I wandered towards my father's study, I and my older brothers just had finished eating dinner when our father summoned us. I had decided to stop by my room to put on something fancier... And my maid tightened my corset a little bit too much for my likings. The sound of my clicking heels was soon joined by the ruckus of my older brothers. I turned my head and my blonde curls were thrown to the side, my brothers were roughhousing as they tried to get one another to topple over.

"Come on Jax! We all know that you are courting Jessica!" My brother James nudged Jaxon. James was the born the fourth child alongside his twin Julian, the two had the same thinking processes but completely different physical characteristics. James, who his muscular and a complete heartbreaker with his chocolate brown hair and ocean blue eyes. Julian on the other hand... he loved his sweets and it reflected that in his figure, he spent most of his days reading romance stories because he could never find himself a real love story. Which is depressing because he is a great brother and human soul. Jaxon was born sixth in the family and had fawn hair that fell over his jade eyes, causing every girl in the country to look at his beauty.

"She's the one... She is perfect in every way! I truly love her." Jaxon admitted as his cheeks flushed with colour. "And I thought you said you would never love a girl Jax?" I interrupted causing all of them to look up.

"Look at this... It is our unpleasant sister." Michael spat and I glared at him, "Got bored of reading Shakespeare now?" Myles joined his twin, Michael and anger ran through me and I wanted to hit both of them.

"Turn around, bend over, I'll show you where my shoe fits." I retorted causing them to struggle to come up with words since they had never expected me to say something like that in their lifetime. They both were copies of each other, same hair, same eyes, same voice, same everything. The only way I can tell them apart was when they spoke, Michael would go first and then Myles will follow.

"Leave her be," Julian interjected out conversation. "If she wants to read... She can read. If she doesn't want to act like a lady she doesn't have to." He continued as my bothers turned towards him. I took my chance to smash the back of my heel into Michaels' foot. He yelped as he went to grab his injured appendage and Myles tried to attack me, I defended myself and dodged his attempt. Michael recovered and grabbed my arm as he slammed me into the wall with fury all over his face. He brought his hand back to strike me.

"ENOUGH!" A powerful voice boomed down the hallway, my eyes were squeezed shut as I waited for my brothers blow... But it never came. "One does not lay a hand on a woman unless he is a coward." The voice continued but my brother still kept me up against the wall.

"And my sons are not cowards." My father finished and I opened my eyes to look at him. Michael let me go and backed away from me with embarrassment in his eyes. My father's hair had grown out along with his facial hair, I knew he didn't take anyone along with him but I would have expected him to go to the barbers at least once while he was away. He wore a collarless coat with deep cuffs and matching waistcoat, a pair of breeches, a white ruffled shirt, and buckled shoes. His jade eyes were wild with anger towards Michael.

"You are marrying soon Michael. Learn to control your temper like Harry does." My brother winced at the mention of our oldest brother Harry who had married and moved far away from us. His eyes shifted towards me and I shuttered as I had not seen him for a long time. My hands found their way to my gown and I started to play with it. It had a tight bodice with a low-cut square neckline, with large ribbon bows down the front, wide panniers, and lavish trim with all manner of lace, ribbon, and flowers with flowing pleats from the shoulders.

"As for you my young Phoenix... I'm disappointed that you have yet not started courting someone. Even the Dresden sisters have found someone to court!" He critiqued me but I was already used to it since I was the only girl.

"I am sorry father," I whispered as I kept my head down. I heard his footsteps echo against the walls as he came closer to me and my siblings.

"Where are the young ones?" He asked and I raised my head to meet his gaze. "In bed father... It was past their bedtime when you called upon us." Jaxon answered and father nodded his head.

"Well, at least I get to see my older children this evening! Speaking of which..." Father started as he called for a maid to bring the trolley. "I have gifts for you children." He said as a maid rushed down the corridor, he thanked her as she bowed her head and backed away.

"I brought back a variety of things for you... Kimonos for all of you," he hands us a bundle of clothes that wasn't heavy at all compared to my dresses. "Fan for the lady of the house, swords for the boys." He continued to take things off of the cart. I watched him hand out the beautiful katanas to my brother while I only got an intricately made fan.

"History books for the readers of the family... I know you'll learn their language sometime soon." Julian gave me a sad look when he saw that I was eyeing the swords, he smiled as he handed me his and in exchange, he took the book that was placed on top of my gifts.

"Lanterns for the young ones, as well as candies and tea for all of us." He finished giving out gifts and I looked at how the twins started playing with their swords except for Julian who just stayed by my side and started flipping through the pages of the books we exchanged.

"Thank you, father." We all said in unison as we watched him fade out of our sights.