Chapter 5 ~ England, 1730

I lay in bed looking up at the ceiling, it had only been a few days since my father came back from Japan but I can not help but feel that he is more distant now than he was during his trip. My window was open to let int the crisp London air into my room, the nights were getting longer and colder which meant winter was upon us. My mouth was feeling dry, so I got up and wrapped a housecoat around my thin nightgown. I slipped my feet into a pair of slippers as I lit up my candelabra that was on my night table.

I wandered down the corridor towards the kitchen, I walked past my siblings' rooms and heard their soft snores behind the doors. I smiled as I imagined them all peacefully sleeping with their dreams while I was always stuck with never-ending nightmares.

I pushed the door open to reveal a couple of maids knitting in front of the fire, their heads shot up at my sudden entrance. "Lady Phoenix! What are you doing up so late?" Fiona asked me and I gave a reassuring smile.

"I was having a nightmare and I woke up needing water." I vaguely told her and more concern came over her. "I know it is not my place to say this but... Shouldn't you tell the doctor about these nightmares? I know you've always had them but it seems like they are getting more frequent and unbearable." Lucy suddenly appeared in the kitchen holding a tray of empty plates, probably from my father.

"I know I should... But I know they'll stay with me forever because not everyone witnesses their mother die during the birth of their sibling." I say and they nod their heads in agreement.

"I guess so---" Fiona was cut off by the sound of glass shattering. I jumped slightly but the ladies were already on it, "It's those pesky vandals again... I ought to get your father to handle this." Lucy fused as she set down her knitting and went to tend after me.

"Is my father still awake?" I questioned Fiona when she settled into Lucy's old rocking chair, "Yes he is in fact." Confusion came over me,

"At this hour?"

"Why yes. I find it peculiar myself since he has business matters that I wasn't aware of." She said beginning to rock back and forth as she sorted through all the newspapers on the trolley. "He has guests? At this hour? Isn't it almost 2 in the morning?" I asked completely dazed and confused as to my father's behaviour. Fiona nodded her head once and I was astonished beyond belief, I put my teacup slowly back down onto its saucer and got up.

"Thank you for your hospitality ladies... But I'll be going to bed now." I announced to take my leave, Lucy asked if I wanted any extra blankets and pillows but I kindly refused her.

I crept down the corridor towards my father's study, I wanted to know what was going on with him. He had been acting differently since he came back from Japan and I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. I could possibly be overthinking again and it could just be the fact that he is getting used to all 11 of us in the same house again. I do not know.

I came up to the 2 large, oak doors that had the new and old world etched into it with all the sigils of our family as well. My hand gently traced my personnel marking that was right beside China, it was a serpent in the shape of a "P" and was decorated with many different exotic designs from India and the Middle East.

I stood there for a couple of seconds to make sure that my robe was done up and was not showing too much of my body. I blew a strand of hair out of my face before I grabbed hold of both the wooden door handles and pushed them forward. The doors were incredibly heavy, especially for a girl my weight and as momentum built up, I struggled to keep them in control.

I was thrown forward when the doors reached their maximum with me and I tripped on my gown slightly but still managed to stay on my feet. I looked down at myself to see if I tore anything and when I was happy that I was okay I looked up.

I immediately regretted it because I found a swarm of men holding up pistols towards my father. They saw me and instantly positioned their aim at me and everything just went down from there.