Chapter 10 ~ Present Day, San Diego

It was unbelievable, "--kole..." The sheer memories that I managed to recollect, but they hurt.

"Nik?" Deimos... I can't remember who he was to me and why did I yell his name as I fell?

"NIKOLE!!!" I jumped at the harshness of his voice, I gasped as I shot up. My heart was racing and my breathing was all over, "Where is he?! WHERE IS NOAH!!!!"

"He's in the interrogation room... It's okay Phoenix. You're safe with me." He said in a calm tone as he motioned his hands to take deep breaths in and out, "Now tell me... What was that? You passed out after I let you in there?" I looked over to the door emotionlessly, why did he come here? Something isn't right...

"Who is he to you Nik?"

"He's a Darkened Angel." I bluntly told my partner and he stared at me blankly for a second, "He knows too much about me... I'm not safe anymore."

"He's a fallen angel as well?" Daniel asked quizzically,

"Yes, but he came from Gehenna instead of Heaven or The Blue. Just the one thing is that I know him from The Blue." I analyzed out loud and it just got more and more confusing for me, "But how did he come up to The Blue and then come here just to help me remember who I was before I fell."

"You think he's lying?"

"No... But he is hiding something... Something that can probably tear me apart."

***

I opened the door to my apartment and slammed the door, not caring about the consequences that would follow from my neighbors. I didn't care to lock the door either, I just threw my bag onto the floor and stormed into the kitchen in search for some of my booze, "I never knew you were such an alcoholic, Pheonix." Orion said judgingly from the dining room,

"Piss off. You don't want to bother me right now... I'm not stable what so ever." I warned him as I twisted a bottle open and started to drink straight from the nozzle. The liquid burned the back of my throat and my stomach until I started to choke on it, I tilted my head back down as I coughed and struggled to breathe from the alcohol.

"You need to pace yourself Phe. Or you're going to end up worse than--"

"Than what Orion?! Last night!? Or 3 years ago?!" I snapped and slammed the bottle on the island to keep myself from breaking the glass, he watched me cautiously as I heaved for air, "I'm just worr---"

"It's too late for that Ori... You should've been worried for me when I needed you..." I sulked at the memories that we shared, "Look I'm sorry for what happened between us in The Blue Phoenix... I really am." I scoffed at his apology,

"Whatever." I retorted and went to my room, I couldn't look at him especially after seeing Noah and showing me my memories. I was too scared that I could come unraveling if I asked Orion about Deimos... But eventually, I will have to.

I sighed as I stripped out of my tight jeans and hoodie while the water-filled up my bathtub. I poured some lavender bubbles into the steady stream of water to spice up my routine, I slid down slowly into the water to make sure my body adjusted to the temperature before fully plunging myself into the oversized human bowl. It's wasn't warm nor was it cold, I was told before that I take really cold baths and showers... But it was the only I could really tell if I was alive or just existing.

A razor blade lay on the ledge of the tub, burning its reflection on the surface of the water to taunt me. I raised one arm out of the water just so my fingers barely touched it, and yet it still sent a jolt of pain through my body. It felt like electricity was being forced through my body and I held back a scream so Orion wouldn't see me like this, hurting myself the only way I could.

When we die an untimely death, the way we pass clings onto our souls and if we ever touch something remotely resembling it, it'll hurt us badly. Almost as badly as dying again. For me it was knives, blades, and bullets, I didn't die from a gunshot wound... I died from being viciously stabbed.

Sure I did get shot that night, but I was only hit in a minor spot and the death had to be painful because I lied about the whereabouts of those wings. Looking back at it now I understand why James was desperate for them, it wasn't Lucifers wings... It was his and he wanted them back. He'd do anything for them... And I would too.

"Phoenix? Are you alright?" My thoughts were interrupted, "Yeah... I'm fine."

"You've been in there for an awfully long time...." I rolled my eyes at Orion's attitude towards me, acting as if I was a child who needed to be watched every second, "I said I was fine Orion, I'm a capable 300-year-old woman who doesn't need you to watch her every move."

"I'm 332 Phe. I'm wiser as to believe you... I can smell the burning from downstairs." I retracted my hand away from the blade as I realize I hadn't let it go, "Just leave me be. I need to drown my thoughts... I'll be out in a minute." I said and heard his steps fade away. This wasn't the way I planned to spend my evening...

At all.