Chapter 6 ~ San Diego, Present Day

"Come on Nik! Help me out with these Standard Deviation questions!! I'll owe you one!!" Aidan begged me as I walked toward the back doors of the cafeteria, "No Aidan! We had this homework due over a week ago--"

My shoulder bumped into someone else and I quickly muttered a sorry as I walked beside him, "Besides it's called 'standard' for a reason!!! And that so that tells you, you are a dumbass for not knowing!" I continued until I reached my spot where me and my friends' hangout by.

Trish was already waiting there for us with her face shoved into Cosmopolitan journal about the Royal Family. I dropped my backpack onto the grass before my body followed suit and I was laying on my back looking at the clouds overhead,

"I hate thissssss..." I groaned as I draped my arms over my eyes and started to rock from side to side. I felt my head being lifted and brought back down onto something more comfortable.

"Maybe you should drop out then. You won't lose anything." Trish huffed as she turned the page of the magazine and I cleared my arms out of my line of view. Aidan was looking down at his phone while I lay on his lap, he casually had his hand sprawled out on my stomach and I didn't think much of it.

"Yeah. No. I wouldn't suggest that... Even though you are the smartest person in this school." Aidan countered the argument for me and I gave him a small grateful smile before rolling onto my side to catch some sleep, "Eh it doesn't matter what I do anymore... My life is on an endless loop I can't get out of..." I muttered.

"Sleep, Nik. You need it." Aidan was right, I needed the sleep since Orion was on my mind all night and caused me to toss and turn every minute.

***

The breeze of the air in the summer garden was always memorable to me... Mainly because it was my safe space when it came to the palace.

I hated the palace due to its strict dress code. I always had to wear with same white clothing each and every day, which only made me remember my past and my family that didn't follow me into The Blue. The day that I found out that they were meant to die that night hurt me and caused me to spiral... I almost tried to kill myself if I hadn't seen war and found that life could be so much crueller.

I was there to grow all the gardens of the palace, mainly because it was that or sipping tea with the king and queen of The Blue which I could never do with my attitude and demeanour. Princess Clarissa once told that I acted higher than them, was cruel to everyone who was nice and cheerful, she once even tried to blame Edwards rising on me when she found out that I was once his friend.

I don't think of her now. She had Kyle, the head of the Royal Guard... The love of her life. While I was doomed with loneliness for the rest of my being... That was until... I made it here and started a new. Away from manipulation and abuse of the guard.

"Nik... Come on... Wake up..."

I want to go back to The Blue someday... And start those gardens again when the war is over, so I'd have something to look after when I am lonely.

"NIK COME ON!!!!"

Or maybe it would be safer for me to just stay here and let everyone else figure it out. I could start my own garden here... Wouldn't be as nice... But would give me something else to do other than think about my past,

"NIK!!!!" My body was raised then slammed into the ground and my eyes shot wide open, I sprung forward to gasp for air.

Fuck.

I let my thoughts drown out my being in front of them again. This has been happening more and more frequently as I spend more time away from The Blue... I don't know why... No one knows the stories of any angel spending this much time on Earth as me. I've spent decades here... Clarissa was only forced to stay here for a couple of hours when Kyle went missing. Even then she got to see her family... While I don't.

"Jesus Nik! We thought you were dead!!" Aidan yelled at me as my breathing evened out to its normal, I groaned as I grasped my skull from the pounding headache that was pulsating and let out a pained chuckle, "Don't worry about me guys... I'm a very heavy sleeper when I don't get enough of it in 2 days."

"So, in other words, you haven't slept for 2 days?" Trish said snarky and I rolled my eyes, "I told you I had a rough night last night and that also means it was the second in a row Trish. You should know my patterns by now."

"Kinda hard to predict since you are wilder than the wind these days..."

"You don't really mean that!"

"GUYS COME ON!!!!" Aidan interrupted us and we both snapped out heads towards him, "No need to start a fight here!!! This is school! Our place of zen and relaxation--- okay maybe not relaxation BUT YOU GET WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY!!!! Stop the damn fighting!!"

"We haven't even started..." I grumbled under my breath just in time for the bell to ring and tell us it was time to get a move on, "Either way... Nice seeing you today. I'll be gone for a couple of days helping the police identify killers... If you need me you know you can find me at the bar. Drunk. Most likely."

"Leaving already?! It's only been 2 periods Nik!"

"Just... Keep Trish in check..." I whispered to Aidan as she walked towards the doors away from us, "She needs it." Aidan nodded his head and grabbed his stuff to go to class,

"Remember... Don't go after them if they run!" I laughed at his concern towards my actions before yelling after him,

"No promises!!!" He flipped me off as he disappeared behind the doors into the school.

It had dawned on me that it was the second time I lied to people I cared about in the last 24 hours... But they could never know what I was going to do next.