Back at Camp and Meeting With Pocahontas

Abel was helping the boys put up a wall in the rain and mud while they were slipping. Finally they got it. "That'll keep everything out, eh, John?" Thomas asked. As he said that, Abel watched Meeko run down a pole into camp over Thomas' head. John just kept digging with a serious expression. "Something wrong, John?" Thomas asked. "What?" John asked. "Ya seem off." Abel replied. "He's right. You've been awfully quiet the last few days." Thomas agreed. "Oh he's just mad that his brother missed all the action." Lon said. "Ah, don't worry, John." Thomas said while putting a hand on John's shoulder. "He'll get his chance to deal with the Indians." John just smiled at him. What John has really been thinking about was that he might've been wrong about the savages. "Yeah. We'll take care of them like we did last time, eh, mates?" Lon asked. Then he started singing. "All right, you howling nutter." Ben said and kicked Lon's behind. "Get to work." "Come on, Ben. It's just a little fun." Lon reassured. "Oh, sure, we're having loads of fun." Ben said sarcastically. "Right, look at us. No gold, no food, while Ratcliffe sits up in his tent all day happy as a clam." "He's got a point." Abel said. "I know I wouldn't miss him if something happened." "At least lil Bel gets it." Ben said. Then Abel decided that he better sneak out and left.

He was looking around. Specifically for Pocahontas. He ended up in a cornfield. So he navigated through. Then he finally found a path. He turned his head right, then left. There she is. Pocahontas. "Pocahontas." The woman with her gasped. "Look." Pocahontas sharply turned to look at Abel. Flit saw him and flew at him. Anticipating this, Abel held up a cracker and Flit stabbed into it. Abel dropped it while Flit was stuck. "It's one of them. I'm going to get..." She was cut off when Pocahontas covered her mouth with her hand. "What are you doing here?" Pocahontas asked in a whisper. "I had to see you again." Abel said smiling. All the while Pocahontas' friend was making noises through her hand. "Pocahontas." A voice said. "Pocahontas?" "Please don't say anything." Pocahontas requested her friend and grabbed Abel's hand. "Quick, This way." Pocahontas said and pulled him into the cornfield. "This place is unbelievable." Abel said. As he walked on a root with Pocahontas. "And to think we came all this way just to dig up gold." "Gold?" Pocahontas questioned. Meeko slid down a vine as they reached a stump. Pocahontas sat on it as Meeko went with her. "Hey Meeko." Abel greeted. "What's gold?" Pocahontas asked. "It's yellow. It's from the ground. It's valuable to people." Abel explained. "Oh. Here. We have lots of it." Pocahontas said searching for something. She pulled out. Food. "Gold." Abel took it. "No. Gold is this." Abel said and pulled out a gold coin. Pocahontas hummed in response. "There's nothing like that around here." She said. She went to grab the coin but Meeko got it first. "No gold?" Abel asked. "Not that I've seen." Pocahontas told him. Abel chuckled. "All this way for nothing." He said. "Well those boys are in for a big surprise." He laid down next to Pocahontas with his arms behind his head. "Will they leave?" Pocahontas asked. "Some of them might." Abel told her. Pocahontas frowned. "Will you go home?" She asked Abel. He leaned up. "No. I don't think so. I think I found something more valuable than gold." He said with a smile. She smiled right back. "Besides. I never belonged anywhere. My brother has always been the loved one. I'm just along for the ride. It's just how it goes when your brother is one of the most famous people where you come from." "Well I think I like you more. You could belong here." Pocahontas told him. Abel sat up. He hears some singing. He looked at the tree and saw something. But it disappeared. "What was that?" He asked. "Did you see something?" Pocahontas asked. "No, no." Abel replied. "I just. I... I didn't see anything. Did I?" "Look again." Pocahontas said. Then it was there again. The tree has a face. An old woman's face. Abel couldn't believe it. "Hello Abel Smith." The tree said. "Pocahontas, a tree is talking to me." Abel said. "Then you should talk back." Pocahontas whispered. "Don't be frightened young man." Tree assured. "My bark is worse than my bite." Abel was still hesitant. "Say something." Pocahontas told him. "What do ya say to a tree?" Abel asked. "Anything you want." Pocahontas said. Abel stood up. "So, uh..." Abel stuttered. "Come closer Abel Smith." Tree said. Abel did. "He has a good soul. And he's cute too." "I like her." Abel said as Pocahontas leaned on him. "I knew you would." She told him. "Smith!" A voice shouted. The two looked over and saw Ben and Lon. With muskets. "Smith, where are ya, lad?" "We can't let them see us." Abel said as they hid behind the tree. "Quick. Over here." The two hid behind vines. "This place gives me the creeps." Lon said. "Savages could be hiding anywhere." "Aye, well, if you spot one, don't ask questions." Ben said. Abel held Pocahontas closer. Right against his body. "Just shoot." Then they tripped over the tree's root and fell. "Watch your feet ya big oaf." Ben insulted Lon. "It wasn't me. It was the tree." Lon said. "Oh of course." Ben said sarcastically. "The tree just felt like lifting its roots and..." They looked back to see the root lower itself. "Let's get out of here." Ben said. Then They were whipped by a vine. "Ow." They yelped. "Run!" Ben yelled and they ran. "I'm glad your on our side." Abel said coming out when the two were gone. "There's still some snap in these old vines." The tree said.  "I'd better get back before they send the whole camp out after me." Abel said. "When will I see you again?" Pocahontas asked. Abel looked at her. "Meet me tonight. Right here." He said as he caressed her face and grabbed her hand. Then he slowly backed away and left. As he was walking though. Meeko jumped off a branch and on his shoulder.