Late Night Rendezvous

Abel and Meeko arrived at camp. Only to find Thomas pointing a rifle at them. "Easy Thomas. It's just me." Abel said in a panic as Meeko crawled in Abel's bag. "Oh, Abel." Thomas said relaxing and lowering his rifle. "I could've killed you." "Not aiming like that, you couldn't." John said coming over and grabbing the rifle and adjusting Thomas' hands as Abel walked over. "Keep both eyes open when you shoot. You'll see twice as well." John said and walked into the camp with Abel. "Smith, there ya are!" Ben yelled at Abel. "We were looking all over for you." Lon said. "Smith!" Ratcliffe yelled walking over from his tent. "Where have you been?" "I was scouting, sir. Gotta know the land." Abel lied. "Excellent. Then you must know the Indians' whereabouts." Ratcliffe stated. "We'll need that information for the battle." "What battle?" John asked as him and Abel narrowed their eyes. "We will eliminate these savages once and for all." Ratcliffe declared. "No, you can't do that." Abel demanded. "Oh, can't I?" Ratcliffe asked suspiciously. "We don't have to fight them." Abel commented. "John, Abel, what's gotten into you?" Thomas asked. "We met one of them." Abel said. "You what?" Ben asked. "A savage?" Thomas asked. "I've been learning a lot." Abel said. "Like, they're not savages and can help us. They know the land. They know how to navigate the rivers." Meeko's paw shot out of Abel's bag with the food. Abel looked at it and grabbed it. "Look." He demanded. "It's food." "What is it?" Lon asked. "Better than hardtack and gruel, that's for sure." Abel told him. "I like gruel." The attendant said. Ratcliffe grabbed the food out of Abel's hand. "They don't want to feed us, you ninnies!" He yelled and threw the corn on the ground. "They want to kill us! All of us! They've got our gold. And they'll do anything to keep it." Ratcliffe was shaking a settler. "But there is no gold." Abel said. "No gold?" Ben asked in disbelief. "And I suppose your little Indian friend told you this?" Ratcliffe smugly asked. "Yes." Abel hissed. "Lies, lies! All of it!" Ratcliffe screamed. "Murderous thieves; there's no room for their kind in civilized society." "But this is their land!" Abel yelled back. "Don't yell at my little brother." John warned. "Think with your heads." Ratcliffe said. "This is my land! I make the laws here. And I say anyone who so much as looks at an Indian without killing him on site will be tried for treason, and hanged." He was now in Abel's face, who was glaring daggers at Ratcliffe.

Later that night, all was quiet. Except that Abel was sneaking out. He reached the end and ran out of camp. "Pocahontas." Abel said and ran on the root in front of the tree and stood in front of Pocahontas. "Abel." Pocahontas said worriedly. Abel grabbed her hands in his own. "Listen to me." Abel warned. "My men are planning to attack your people. You need to warn them." "Maybe it's not too late to stop this." Pocahontas told him. "You have to come with me and talk to my father." She started dragging him until he stopped her. "Pocahontas, talking isn't gonna do anything. It'll just light the fire further." He warned. "I already tried talking to my men but everything about this land has them spooked." Then there was a howl and Abel looked back. There was a dog with a log on him. "That's the strangest creature I've ever seen." The tree said. Then it started rolling down the hill. It hit a tree and flew wot of the log and landed in Abel's hands upside down.   "Percy." He said in shock. Percy stared at Meeko. Then chased him. "Easy Percy." Abel tried. "Meeko, come back!" Pocahontas yelled. "Ya see what I mean?" Abel asked. "Once two sides want to fight, nothing can stop them. "Come-- come here, both of you." Pocahontas commanded the squabbling animals. Those two were on a path. They ran over Abel. "Bad, bad dog. Sit." Abel commanded. Meeko stopped and looked at Flit and grabbed him. "What are you doing, Meeko?" Pocahontas asked. Then Meeko started using him as a sword in a fencing stance. "Percy, get back here." Abel ordered. Then Meeko went up a vine and threw Flit somewhere. "All right. That's enough!" The tree shouted at Percy. Percy was scared and whimpered. Then fell off the stump into the water with a splash. A vine pulled him out and put him back on the stump. "Now then. There's something I want to show you." The tree continued. "Look." She gestured to the water and reached her vines down. She poked the water and there was a ripple. "The ripples." Pocahontas said. "What about them?" Abel asked. "So small at first. Then look at how they grow." The tree explained. "But someone has to start them." "They're not going to listen to us." Abel said. "Young man, sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." The tree continued. "Don't you see?" She slid Abel off her roots and on the ground in front of Pocahontas. "Only when the fighting stops can you be together." Abel and Pocahontas grabbed each other's hands. They smiled at each other. "All right. Let's go talk to your father." Abel relented. Pocahontas' smile got wider and she reached up and hugged him around the neck. He didn't hesitate to hug back. They pulled back and Abel slowly leaned down and captured Pocahontas' lips in his own. It wasn't a kiss of passion. It was full of pent up feelings of love. But they weren't aware that they were being watched from both parties sides. But even if they were, they were too enthralled in each other to care. Until there was a war cry and Abel and Pocahontas stopped only to see an Indian running at them. He tackled Abel and started attacking. "Kocoum. No!" Pocahontas yelled. Kocoum whacked at Abel's head with a club, but Abel moved his head and picked up a stick to his left and blocked the next strike overhead that would have killed him. Abel flipped Kocoum over him and Kocoum landed on his back and rolled over. Kocoum pulled out a stone knife and ran at Abel who just stood up. Abel grabbed both of Kocoum's wrist as he was pushing, trying to get to Abel. Next thing Abel heard was two sets of splashing. "Kocoum!" Pocahontas yelled. Now the two men were rolling over each other and trying to get the upper hand. Kocoum got that hand. "Leave him alone." Pocahontas said and tried pulling Kocoum off Abel. Kocoum pushed Pocahontas off him and onto her side in the dirt. "Don't you dare touch Pocahontas." Abel growled and he was about to get stabbed as the knife was getting closer. "Kocoum!" Pocahontas yelled again to no avail. "Stop!" Together they pushed Kocoum's hands all the way up. Suddenly two guns fired. And both shots hit Kocoum. He grabbed Pocahontas' necklace and it snapped and broke into pieces. He fell back and into the water as Abel stood up. "Thomas. John." Abel said as he saw the two with smoking barrels. "Is he?" Thomas asked. "You killed him." Pocahontas said in shock. "I thought that..." Thomas said. "Get away from him!" Pocahontas demanded and was held back by Abel. "Pocahontas, it won't help!" He told her. "They were only..." "They killed him!" Pocahontas cut in. Then there were sounds of Indians shouting. "Thomas, John. Get out of here!" Abel yelled. They hesitated. "Get out of here!" He repeated. Finally they listened and ran. Right after they were gone, the Indians made it and four of which grabbed Abel. They dragged him away.
Back at the village. The chief looked at Kocoum's body. "Who did this?" He demanded to know. Two warriors dragged Abel through a path of other warriors. "Pocahontas was out in the woods." One warrior said. "Kocoum went to find her, and this white man attacked him." They kneeled him in front of the chief and raised his head by the hair. "Your weapons are strong." Chief said as he walked forward and pointed the spear at Abel. "But now our anger is stronger. At sunrise, he will be the first to die." "But father..." Pocahontas said as she walked forward. "I told you to stay in the village." Chief cut her off. "You disobeyed me." "Don't yell at her. She did nothing wrong." Abel said. "Silence, murderer." Chief said. "He attacked me." Abel defended. "Liar." Chief continued to deny. He turned to Pocahontas. "You have shamed your father." He said. "I was only trying to help." Pocahontas said. "Because of your foolishness, Kocoum is dead." Chief said. "Take him away." The warriors lifted Abel up and walked away with him.