16.

Hermione waited patiently in the abandoned common room as Harry dressed. Everyone else had already gone down to the arena, in which the third and final task would take place in only about an hour, though Hermione insisted that she stayed with Harry.

She stared blankly into the fire, her mind swarming with thoughts of what could possibly go wrong during the task. She knew thinking of this wouldn't help anything, but she couldn't stop herself.

She was snatched away from her thoughts as Harry entered the common room. Her eyes widened as she realized that he was shirtless, wearing only his black and red sweatpants. She forced herself to look at his face instead of his torso, and felt a blush creeping onto her cheeks when her eyes met his.

"Sorry," she murmured, staring into the fire once more.

"No, I get it," said Harry cheekily. "You like what you see."

Hermione rolled her eyes and threw a pillow at him, "Quit teasing me."

Harry opened his arms, a smirk plastered on his face, "Come here."

Hermione smiled and, though she longed to race towards him, slowly made her way across the common room to him. She leaned into him and buried her face into his bare chest as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Be careful, please," she begged quietly, her voice cracking at the end.

"I always am, 'Mione," Harry said and kissed the top of her head. Hermione looked up at him and nodded. He leaned down and planted a soft kiss on her lips, but Hermione wanted more. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back, much to his surprise. Though, he didn't mind it at all. He wrapped his arms around her small waist and pulled her closer to him, kissing her with everything he had in him.

Though he didn't want to, Harry pulled away slowly, pecking her once more before staring into her eyes. Hermione let out a small whine at the loss of contact, but she understood.

Harry sighed and stepped away from her before throwing his shirt over his head.

"Come on," he said quietly, reaching out his hand for Hermione to take.

~

Hermione watched quietly from the stands as Professor Dumbledore introduced the four champions. As Harry's name was called, he caught Hermione's eye, and gave her a small smile.

Hermione fiddled with the ring on her finger- which she never took off. Her heart twisted with sadness at the thought of loosing Harry to this task. She had been worried about the other two tasks, but not half as bad as the third. She convinced herself it was only because the final task was said to be the most challenging, and dangerous. But, she knew it was more than that.

Dumbledore, who was having a talk with the champions, pulled away from them.

"Alright, champions!" he said, "At the sound of the cannon-"

He didn't finish his sentence before a loud boom echoed throughout the arena. Everyone turned to look at Mr Filch- who only shrugged apologetically.

Hermione turned back to the arena to see Harry disappear into the maze. He glanced back once more and caught Hermione's eye, mouthing something before he disappeared in the maze. Hermione stared at the green hedge in confusion; what had he mouthed to her?

Hermione stared blankly at the hedge where Harry disappeared, waiting and hoping he would reappear soon. She felt a tap on her shoulder, but ignored it.

"Hey," Ron's annoyed voice snapped her from her thoughts. She turned to see he was the one tapping her shoulder, and felt a wave a guilt flow through her.