CHAPTER EIGHT THE LONG JOURNEY

For the next four weeks, the child beasts traversed the brutally high mountains of the Dinaric Alps on their journey to the Adriatic Sea. They avoided the main trading routes, and only used the routes in the darkest hours, to cross the most difficult mountain passes. Snow covered, thick forested hills, and small caves offered numerous places for them sleep through the hours of daylight. They fed mostly on wild animals and learned to drink only small amounts of blood from farm animals, leaving them weakened, but alive. Maxim did not desire to leave an obvious trail of dead bodies, and livestock, which would enable their enemies to easily track their progress. Occasionally they would come upon a lone traveler or two and ambush them. For a few days, this would sate their thirst for human blood. After one such ambush, Samar excitedly showed the group a well-made iron dagger, he had found on the trader's belt. With a sense of excitement, he tied the high-quality dagger to his own belt.

Every evening before the child beasts continued their long march, Samar practiced throwing his dagger into the trunks of trees. After a few weeks, he could unfailingly hit his mark with every throw.

One bright moonlit night, after Maxim had crested a high ridgeline, he suddenly stopped, and did not speak. He stood motionless, staring off into the distance. Sensing something was wrong, Samar began to silently unsheathe his iron dagger. He longed to draw blood with the razor-sharp edge. Jaka grew nervous. He whispered, "What is it? Should we hide?"

Maxim slowly shook his head no and waved his cousins forward. "No. Come to me. Look at it. It's amazing...amazingly beautiful."

In confusion, the cousins climbed over the crest of the un-named mountain ridge to join Maxim. They found him staring out at the Adriatic Sea. The Island of Krk lay on the distant horizon. When he first spotted the water, Ziga said, "I wish I could see this in the daylight. When I was a small boy, my Grandfather would put me on his knee, and tell me splendid tales of the sun glittering off the mighty Adriatic Sea. Tales of sailors, and beautiful exotic women in the port towns. Spicy food..." He trailed off when he remembered, that he would never enjoy the taste of food again, or his Grandfather's comforting presence. After turning his head to hide his momentary weakness, he wiped a tear from his eye.

Samar lightly slugged Ziga on the shoulder. "At least you get to see it. If we had remained in Golo...I doubt any of us would have ever seen the sea. "Besides, I feel my power growing. In a few years, I believe my scales will provide enough protection for me to walk in the daylight."

Ziga smiled. "You are right cousin. The magnificence of the sea may be dimmed by the scales that cover my eyes. But one day–one day–I will view this place in the daylight."

The ever impatient, and driven Maxim interrupted them. "Come. We only have a few hours until sunlight. We must feed and find a place to bed down for the day." Instead of descending down the slope to the road far below them, Maxim turned to the southeast, away from the sea. He led them down a goat trail, along the eastern side of the ridge.

"Why don't we take the road below?" whined Jaka.

Maxim's temper momentarily flared, he calmed his mind before responding. "The road is too well traveled."

"And patrolled by soldiers. My Grandfather told me tales of being searched on the road by roving patrols," Ziga added.

Maxim continued. "The situation is worse now. King Louis The First, of Hungary is at war with the Republic of Venice. He wants to take the whole Dalmatian Coast back from Venice. The whole coastline is crawling with soldiers from both sides."

"How do you know so much?" asked Jaka."

Maxim arrogantly asked, "Haven't you listened to the traders, and travelers talk over the past weeks?"