CHAPTER TWENTY MAXIM'S RETURN

Two days earlier, The Dark Mother's agents had delivered some alarming news to her. Cardinal Todori still lived. The agents had also reported on strange happenings at the Sophia Cathedral, but were not able to procure any detailed information. The Church was being very tightlipped about the incident concerning Cardinal Todori. Upon receiving the news, The Dark Mother sadly thought, Maxim has failed his quest. Have I lost a Son?

At the moment, she was sitting on her balcony, in the dark and alone. An agent hesitantly approached her. He brought more disconcerting news; the trade ship from Constantinople had docked without Maxim aboard. Her agent explained that the ship had been thoroughly searched by the Church's soldiers, before it had been allowed to depart Constantinople. He added that the soldiers had not found Maxim on the ship. Nervously she wrung her hands and dismissed the agent. She tried to come to grips with the possible capture...or even worse, the death of her Son. Something went seriously wrong. Did my Son fail? She played out several scenarios in her mind but was unable to imagine one that resulted in the capture of Maxim, until she thought. Betrayal. My Maxim must have been betrayed by The Prior. That night she slept fitfully, plagued by dream filled visions of Maxim being tortured by her enemies.

The next day, her fears were put to rest when Arastos reported to her office. He bowed, and with excitement, exclaimed, "Mother I have good news!"

The Dark Mother's pulse quickened. She had been hoping to hear news...any news about Maxim. Remaining calm, she ordered, "Please tell me."

"There have been reported killings by a beast in the Katfigio Mountains. It is along one of the likely routes that Maxim would have taken by foot."

The Dark Mother leaned forward in her chair. "Describe the killings."

"A husband and wife, and their son. Fang marks on the victims' necks. Along with a broken arm. Oh, and teeth marks on the inner-thigh of the boy." Arastos paused for a moment as he tried to phrase his next thought, "The death of the boy was strange."

"How so?"

"The boy was left to bleed to death. But he didn't fully die. His injury would not heal...but he did not die. Our agents reported that he was living in agony. Even the strongest medicines could not bring him any comfort."

The Dark Mother leaned back and adjusted her hair. "That is my Maxim. He purposely imparted part of the gift, but only enough to ensure the boy would suffer a long painful death."

"Why would he do that Mother?"

"Revenge. These killings must have something to do with his betrayal in Constantinople."

Arastos continued with his report. "The boy suffered for two-days, before a Priest finally arrived in the village. The priest declared the boy to be the Devil's spawn. On the Priest's orders, the villagers burned the boy at the stake."

The Dark Mother became pensive. "Why did it take the Church so long to dispatch a priest? If I correctly recall, there is a nearby Abbey. The very same Abbey that sent a group of Crusaders to ambush Ciril's forces."

Arastos inwardly smiled, he was always amazed at how much the Dark Mother knew. "There were no priests near the village. The Prior of the Abbey was found dead in his bed."

The Dark Mother evilly smiled, "Let me guess."

"Yes Mother. Two fang marks in the neck."

"Why the Prior?" she asked. She paused, and then answered her own question. "The Church somehow hurt Maxim. He wants revenge. That is his primary weaknesses. His need for revenge. Any other news?"

"It seems Maxim most likely went into hiding after his rampage."

"That was smart of him."

"Yes Mother. It is quite fortunate he did."