Chapter 1

• Dedicated to For RoyalJoker and LeaReading, my two most dedicated readers. Thanks, guys.

1

School went on normally after Len's failed attempt to kidnap me last week. The only differences? Well, one: Whenever I glanced over at Gabriel, he refused to look my way, even though we were supposed to be working together. Like he said. And two: no matter how hard I tried ignoring him Daren kept staring at me throughout our classes together. He even made a point in moving his seat closer to mine. He'd passed me a few notes but I refused to open them, promptly tossing them into the trash and returning to my seat.

I had refused to look at him or even speak to him all this week. Not particularly out of the norm concidering we both hated each other's guts. But ever since my last confrentaion with Chelsea I knew he knew everything I said to her about us dating. I only said that to her to get her riled up! I didn't actually mean any of it. I thought he'd understand that. But no. He actually told her everything I said was true. Can you say "Mind Blown"?

I've been avoiding him ever since.

The bell rang for the end of school and instead of staying to pester Gabriel I made a mad dash for the door and took the steps two at a time.

"Christine!" I could hear Daren's voice call out somewhere behind me but I didn't stop. I rammed my shoulder against the push bar and was instantly greeted by the October chill in my face. Before I could take more than three quick steps out of the building Daren's hand clamped around my arm and the other coming up to cover my mouth as he dragged me backwards to a small hiding spot beneath the stairwell. I struggled and tried to scream but whatever sound I could make was lost in the sound of hundreds of students feet pounding against the steps, and their cheerful talking. Daren didn't release his hand from my mouth until he was positive everyone was gone.

"Let go of me," I hissed.

"We need to talk and you know it."

"We don't need to talk about anything," I spat, trying to pull my arm away from his grip but he was strong.

"Why did you tell Chelsea we were dating?" he asked.

Right to the point isn't he? "To mess with her," I answered. "Why did you agree with me?"

He was quiet for a moment, those light blue eyes staring holes into me and for a split second I was afraid. I was afraid of what he would say next. My stomach tightened in the silence that lingered between us and I swear I could feel knots forming in my intestines.

"You're a tough girl," he finally said. "And, though you're annoying as hell, I have to appreciate that."

I stared up at him completely confused.

"Maybe," he continued slowly, lowering his gaze for just a moment to linger on my mouth before returning to my eyes. "It wouldn't be so bad to date you."

Well, paint me pink and call me Sherly. Was Daren Hawethorn, my tormentor and the boy who absolutely hated me, admitting he actually liked me? Wait until I told Emily.

"But you hate me," I reminded him, trying not to sound as unsure as I felt.

"We can call it a love-hate relationship," he murmred as he tilted his head and leaned in closer to my face. I pressed as far back against the wall as I could, trying to create some distance between us but it wasn't much. And it wasn't long until his mouth was on mine, warm and firm.

Not having any other choice I bit down hard on his lower lip, trying to get him away. He didn't move. Instead I felt him growl against my mouth and bite back. I let out a shocked whimper, pushing against his chest, trying to get away but he gave me no slack. He still had my shoulder pinned against the wall, and with the other hand he reached up and grabbed a fist full of my hair, making sure I was trapped. And I was.