Chapter 9

9

Hey guys, I hope you're enjoying the story so far. And if you are don't forget to comment and vote, every little bit helps. And please, I know I screw up a lot on the grammar thing so if you could tell me where I made mistakes I'll fix it as soon as possible. Thank you!- Charlie

It'd been nearly a week since Nana had promised we'd rescue Benjamin and I was feeling a bit antsy about the rescue coming up tomorrow. I half wondered if Gabriel had convinced them to rescue him without me, and if that was the case, was he safe already? I couldn't feel anything from him, but that wasn't exactly out of the norm for me. I figured I could only feel major emotions and pain from Benjamin instead of the little things. At least I knew he wasn't dead. That was good. I would've reminisced in the pleasure of knowing that Benjamin was alright for the time being but right now I had my own ordeals to face. Today was the day I would meet Daren's parents and I was extremely nervous. I was shaking so much I looked like a phone set on vibrate.

Standing in the mirror I took a long look at my reflection. I was wearing a white blouse with long black sleeves, jeans (that weren't ripped, whether for fashion or vampiric reasons), a pair of my nicest converse and Daren's letterman he had let me borrow a week ago and I had never given back.

My reflection smiled a weary smile at me.

Two months ago I had been cornered by two evil vamps- Susan and Benjamin (or rather, one evil vamp and Benjamin)- and my entire life had been turned upside-down. I laughed, I cried. I killed a man, I cried. I nearly killed Chelsea, was almost kidnapped by Len and brought to Karnayna. Shit, did I cry when I got home.

But, along with all the confusion, pain, tears, and blood, came one or two good things. I met a couple of really good people, people I could trust... Well, most of them, anyway. And as a result I was able to get close to Daren. I was able to actually start liking the guy. Really liking the guy.

I was still thinking about everything when I was sitting in my first period class, staring out the window at the grey skies. I was a vampire. I was joining a war and heading off to Ireland in almost a week. I was heading out on a rescue mission to save my sire Benjamin the Day Walker tomorrow night. I was going to meet Daren's parents today during their Before Halloween Cookout. I liked Daren Hawthorne, the boy who had allowed his buddies to beat me up the first day I had transferred here and dated me, mainly, to make sure I stay away from Gabriel Steele, our co-teacher in English class.

Yep. At that point I didn't think my life could get more bleh. Knock on wood.

I leaned back in my seat as Mr. Sims walked into the room and set down a manila folder on his desk. He pulled out stack of papers- fresh from the printer- and started passing them out.

"Alright, class," he announced in his boring monotonous voice that could make the peppiest and most hyped up person fall asleep. The man reminded me of the guy who came out on the dry eyes commercials. "Today we are having a surprise pop quiz. I hope you all studied."

There was a low chorus of groans and muttered remarks. I dropped my head onto the desk with a slight groan. Cue bleh.

When class let out I walked down the hall, staring at my shoes, shoulder slumped in defeat. I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that I had failed that quiz. I mean, it's not that I didn't study- I tried to, honest- but it's all that's been going on in my life. All this trouble with vampires being real, being bitten, a war, etc.... Time just got away from me, I guess.

I scuttled my way to a row of lockers and buried my face in the corner, forehead leaned against the cool metal. I needed to get a handle on this or else I'd end up flunking.