Chapter 11

11

Can you guys believe this?? Whispers in the Dark had almost a thousand views! I'm so happy! I never would've thought it'd actually be this popular. Thank you guys so much! Please, keep reading and keep telling your friends about my books. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I couldn't have done this without you guys. *sniffles*

        Now, you guys don't wanna hear me blubber on. Back to the story!

                                                _____________________________

When I woke up again it was still dark. I laid bloody, damp and naked, tangled in my sheets. My mind was still reeling from last night's nightmare, my chest heaved with every shaky breath I sucked in.

I dreamed of Daren. Of holding him, hugging him, kissing him. He stared down at me with those loving eyes of his and I couldn't help it- I told him everything. When I was done his loving expression was gone, replaced instead by a look of horror and disgust. He shoved me away roughly and I fell to the floor. When I looked back up at him again I was staring down the barrel of a revolver. Daren was glaring down at me, hatred turning his gaze icy. I was jerked awake by the click of the hammer being pulled back.

With a small groan I pulled myself up to a sitting position and looked over at my alarm clock. The numbers 12:28 A.M. blinked back at me in red. The last time I had glanced over at my clock I had just climbed into bed after I took my bath. Then, it had read 5:32 A.M.. I had slept an entire day away.

A light tapping at my window caused my whole body to tense up. For a brief moment I was brought back to my first week here, when that thing had crawled into my room. The memory of it sniffing me sent a shiver down my spine and I quickly pushed it away making way for happier thoughts to invade.

Maybe it was Daren. Since our fight last night he'd been texting me nonstop, threatening that if I didn't answer he'd end everything, apologizing for the threats, begging me to answer him, telling me he was worried about me. One text after another he continued sending them, even now my phone was blinking in the dark, alerting me to the unread messages I had. Was it really Daren? I wondered. He did know where I lived after all. Perhaps he came to apologize.

More tapping at the window. I searched around frantically for a scrap of clothing, and after a moment pulled on my hoodie, hiding the new slices on my forearms. I raked my fingers through the tangled mass my hair had become and wiped my teary face, hoping it wasn't still puffy and red. I had spent most of the night crying over Daren but like hell I'd let him know it. Kicking away my sheets, I rushed to the window and pulled back the curtains. However, it wasn't Daren who crouched on the roof, dripping with rain.

Reluctantly, I unlatched the lock on the window and slid it open. "What are you doing here?" I demanded through the window's screen.

Gabriel's eyes took in my appearance, those deep blue orbs traveling from my naked legs, to the extra large sweater, and finally my puffy and mascara smeared eyes. An annoying smirk tugged at his mouth. "My, my," he chuckled. "Doesn't young Juliet look fetching tonight?Were you expecting someone else?"

"Oh, Romeo, how thou art such an ass," I sneered in response, wrapping my arms around myself. Suddenly, standing in front of Gabriel in only a sweater as he watched me from my window, I felt awkward and exposed. "What are you doing here?"

"Did you forget already?" He gave a small, humorless laugh as shook his head, rain droplets falling from his dark hair. "We had a date."

"Excuse me?" Okay, so now that I'm single it's automatically open season? And Gabriel is the first to go out on the hunt?! What the hell was that about? "I don't recall ever-"