Chapter 2

2

"I can't believe you and my brother are an item," Emily said for the 12th time that afternoon as we sat in the lunchroom eating together. The initial event of me and her brother "getting together" had been almost a week ago yet she still wasn't over it. I tried ignoring the churn her bringing it uo caused my stomach, being as today was my first time eating with another living person other than Morgan and Greg, my ­EX- Bf and Bff l. Multiple living persons. We sat with Emily's 5 best friends. Her posse.

"You said that already," I repeated for the 11th and proceeded in devouring my ham and cheese sandwhich.

"I just can't believe it," she said again, then her face lit up. "What if you and Daren get married one day? Then me and you could be, like, sisters! Wouldn't that be awesome?" Emily beemed at me from her plac across from my seat.

Me and Daren? Married? Ha! That wouldn't happen even if Hell froze over and pigs started flying around as if the Wicked Witch herself were controlling them. But, the way Emily was grinning at me, her face glowing with optimism and hope, I couldn't burst her bubble.

"Yeah," I finally replied. "That'd be really cool."

"Oh, it would, huh?" a familiar voice chuckled behind me. I narrowed my eyes at Emily accusingly and she just grinned back micheviously. That trickster.

I plastered a smile on my face and faced my new... boyfriend. I would never get used to that. "Hey, what are you doing here?" I hoped I was able to sound as carefree and girlfriend-like as possible. Breaking it off with Daren meant no more rides, and that meant bye-bye mom's job, hello unemployment line. As much as I hated it, Daren Hawethorn had me wrapped around his little finger.

Daren smiled back, a smile of warning that sent chills down my spine, and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Just came to see my girlfriend," he said and placed a small kiss on my head. A shudder threatened to course through my body, but I managed to supress it.

"Well, aren't you two just adorable?" Shawnee, the mocha-skined african princess of our table, giggled.

"I know I'm jealous," Jay agreed, leering at Daren so perversely I almost laughed out loud. For those who haven't noticed, Jay is homosexual. And I love him to bits.

I made a face at them both.

"Aren't you supposed to be in class?" I looked up at him, and hardened my gaze slightly. He knew I didn't want him here. If I had it my way I'd never see him other than when he drove me to and from school.

But you don't have it your way, the Voice in my head mocked (You mean you don't have one? Well, shucks. You can have mine.). From now on it's all his way, isn't it?

Don't you have anything better to do? I inwardly groaned.

And miss out on your delicious misery? He chuckled. Never.

"I'm on my way there now," Daren assured above my head and waved a small attendance slip in front of my face. "I just came to check on you, make sure my sister didn't eat you or something," he grinned. "Now that I see you're alive and well, I'll be going."

Thank goodness.

"But first," he continued and I felt my stomach tighten again, the same way it had during our confrentation yesterday. "I want a kiss."

I looked up at him and tried my best not to glare. Now? He had to be kidding me. But he wasn't; his face was already mere inches away from mine and closing in fast. I squeeze my eyes shut and prayed it'd be over soon.

His lips grazed mine, light as a feather, causing a small shiver to run down my spine. And then, suddenly, it stopped. I kept my eyes tightly closed expecting more, waiting for the ruthlessness from this morning or the day before, but it never came. When I opened my eyes again Daren was already walking away, packpack slung over one shoulder, attendance slip in his hand. He didn't look back at me, or anyone else, and soon, he was gone.