Chapter 5

5

A day walker. Benjamin was a Day Walker. I didn't know what to say. I mean, what would you say of you found out something like this? I was speechless.

"A Day Walker?" I repeated in a squeak.

"Yes," Nana nodded. "And you are right. We must get him away from Karnayna and his people before they either corrupt him and use him for their evil purposes or kill him." She looked over at Kiel and Gabriel. "Get your teams assembled. Get them trained. You set out next week." Then, she glanced at everyone else. "Meeting ajurned." As if on cue everyone shuffled out.

"Please," I looked at Nana once everyone else was gone. "Let me come, too. Let me help."

"No way," Gabriel growled from behind me. "We've been over this, you're staying out of the war."

"This isn't a war," I countered. "This is a rescue. And besides," I continued on, crossing my arms over my chest stubbornly. "It's not like anyone else in this room has a bond with him. You won't find him without me." Of course it was a bluff, but how else was I supposed to convice him to let me go? And despite the fact that it was a lie, something in me told me that what I said was true.

"The lass's right," Kiel said before Gabriel could say anything. "We'll be needin' her to find the boy. Ye'll be on my team," he nodded to me and I could basically feel the anger rolling off of Gabriel.

"Thank you," I said and stood from my seat. When I stepped outside again I wasn't surprised when I felt Gabriel's hand clamp around my wrist and swing me around to face him. It hurt, but I wasn't surprised.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" he growled. "You're supposed to be past all of this war shit."

"Like I said," I hissed back. "Not a war, rescue."

"Same damned thing. You can get killed partisipating in either one."

"Like you'd care if I died or not," I spat. "Hell, if I died now I'm sure you'd be the first to dance on my grave."

"True," he agreed, ticking me off even worse. "I probably would. If only because I was finally rid of your infuriating stupidity."

I grinned a mocking, sarcastic grin up at him, hoping I pissed him off as much as he was me. "It's one of my charms."

"Is that why that Hawethorn boy is dating you?" he ground out through his teeth trying to contain his anger. "Or is it something more?"

"That's none of your business."

"Oh, I assure you, Christine, it is more my business than you or I would like to believe. For your own safety and the safety of others, stay away from that boy."

"Funny," I spat. "He says the same about you."

"I would believe it," he nodded. "I feel the same for him." Gabriel glowered down at me, his eyes a burning grey. "But you can't help that now, can you? Break it off with Daren before he finds out what you are and kills you."

                              _________

"Hello?" Daren's voice called from the kitchen, sounding slightly irritated. "You still out there?"

"Yeah," I answered quickly, snapping out of my small daze. "Sorry, I was spacing out."

"Did you even hear me?" he asked, poking his head into the living room. I said no and apoloized repeatedly. "I asked whether or not you want butter on your popcorn," he went on exasperated.

"Yes, please. Drown it mercilessly."

He smiled and disappeared back into the kitchen.

Ever since the game a few days ago me and Daren had began growing closer, as a couple and as friends. I was surpised to find that the boy could be extremely funny, and at times, very cute. But, at the same time I couldn't get Gabriel's words out of my head, even now. Would he really kill me?

Maybe was the answer.

But until then I wouldn't live a secluded life in fear of getting close to people, let alone a boy I was kind of liking.

"So, are you ready to watch Darkness Falls?" he asked letting out an ominous chuckle and I couldn't help grinning.

"I love horror movies," I pointed out with a defiant smile. "So if you're looking for some girl who's gonna be clinging to your arm the whole time, look again."

"Perfect," he replied and I leaned back against his sofa, kicking up my feet as he popped the casset into the tv.

I would never be normal, I knew that. But, maybe I could be semi-normal. Yeah, that wouldn't be so bad.

Christine Tompson, semi-normal teenage vampire.

Hm. Has a little ring to it, doesn't it?

The movie was a lot better than I expected for an early 2000's horror flick about the toothfairy (I mean really? The toothfairy? Who came up with this stuff?). At one point near the beginning I ended up jumping and Daren pulled that whole "sly" yawning and stretching his arm across my seat move. I didn't mind. I leaned into his chest comfortably, and everytime I jumped he'd hold me closer. It was extremely nice.

Daren would never kill me. He would never dream of it. When he held me, rubbing his warm hand against my arm slightly chilled arm, I knew he wouldn't kill me. He liked me. I even believed he might actually like me like me. I didn't trust my theory enough to out and out tell him I was a blood sucking night walker but I figured that, even if he somehow found out, he would except me for being me. That was just the kind of guy he was.

        Right?

        "I thought you weren't the kind to cling to a guy during a movie?" Daren chuckled softly some time later.

        "This isn't clinging," I replied, nuzzling my head against his warm chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. "It's cuddling."

        "Oh," he smiled down at me and planted a soft kiss on my head. "I can live with that."

        "So can I," I murmered quiet enough that he couldn't hear and we watched the movie, snuggled up on his couch. It was a nice moment. One I wished would go on and on and on.