Brooklyn's Smarts

This one was requested by AbbyReads03 and her Newsie is Smarts. I don't own Smarts, all I own is this plot. AbbyReads03, I hope you enjoy this one!!! 

Spot Conlon cannot believe the sight that is before him. A girl standing on his, HIS docks. Letting girls hang around the Newsies is definitely more Kelly's thing. It is NOT a Spot Conlon thing. This girl should know better than to mess with the one and only Spot Conlon, only the most respected and famous Newsie in all of New York and probably everywhere else too. At least that's what the Walking Mouth tells him. Respect is something that Spot knows he will never get enough of. This girl, with dark hair and tan skin, tells Spot that much. 

"Ey, goil! What'cha ya doin on my turf?" Spot snaps and the girl turns to him, crossing her arms. 

"Don't you know to respect a lady when ya see one?" asks the girl. "Besides didn't know I needed an invitation to come to my home borough." Spot turns pink and looks away. 

"Smarts, it's been months since anyone's seen ya. What am I supposed ta do when goils just randomly start showin up on my turf?" Spot protests and Smarts laughs. 

"Oh, Spot. Always protective of his turf," Smarts teases him before slowly starting to stroll across the dock. Spot does not even crack a smile. "You're not happy to see me?" Smarts asks. 

"How am I supposed ta protect ya from other people, Smarts?" Spot asks and Smarts smiles up at him. 

"You don't have to," She says. She prepares to continue when a teenage voice calls out, 

"Well if ain't da real gem of Brooklyn!" Smarts glares at the two boys jeering down at her from above.  Spot opens his mouth to intervene, but Smarts starts before he can,

"Oh yeah, you are not referring to me. Unless you want to deal with your girls when they find out you've been flirting with me!" One of the boys backs off, but the other one doesn't.  Suddenly, Smarts sees his face clearly.

"Abigail Flores! I'se didn't know dat was youse!" The second boy calls and he jumps down to the dock next to Smarts.

"Good to see you too, Pokes," Smarts says and the two spit shake.

"Ya come for a swim?" Pokes asks and suddenly, a little boy comes running up to Pokes and latches onto his leg, "Paddles has been lookin for a swimmin partner lately and I'se could use a break from sellin papes."

"Nah, I've got a show in Manhattan that needs practiced for. Maybe later?" Smarts proposes and Pokes winks at her.

"Dey's says beautiful things happen in the moonlight," He says and Smarts crosses her arms.

"Who's they?" She asks loudly and Pokes laughs,

"Me," He says with a laugh and Smarts rolls her eyes.

"Smarts, when's da show?" Spot asks.

"6," Smarts replies, "Don't be late." She runs around through various alleyways until she reaches her apartment. Climbing up the fire escape, she tries to sneak inside.

"Abigail Flores! Where have you been? I thought you were at practice!" Mrs. Flores calls out when she spots her daughter halfway and halfway out of the window.

"Practice is an hour. If I hurry, I'll make it right on time," Smarts says, grabbing her book of music from a tiny bookshelf in her tiny corner of the living room that is her bedroom. Smarts climbs through the window again to Mrs. Flores's dismay.

"Abigail, come back before dark. You know how dangerous the boys in Brooklyn are," Her mother calls out and Smarts rolls her eyes.

"Not all Brooklyn boys are terrible, Mother!" Smarts calls out just as her feet hit the street and a voice causes her to jump a little bit,