Childhood friends

"Come on, Y/N, catch up!"

You were racing the Shimada boys home from school. Though they were trained since they were able to walk, you still found fun in running with them. They were your only friends, your father didn't really like you conversation at school, but the Shimada's were different.

You never really understood why they were an exception but you didn't complain. You were just happy that you could have some free time away from home. Your father was very protective of you around every.

"I win again!" Genji stood tall at the gate of their home.

"You always win." You huff.

"Because he cheats." Hanzo explains, "If only you put as much effort into your studies."

"Hey! I'm doing great in school!" Genji exclaims. "I'm passing."

Hanzo groans, pushing in the passcode to the gate. "Barely. Y/N are you staying for dinner?"

"I'm not sure, father just said to go home with you two today. Said he had some meeting and didn't want anything to interrupt it. I'm sure he will pick me up when he can. If not it's the weekend, I can sleep in a spare room. Genji's clothes fit."

"I will alert father then." Hanzo headed inside while you and Genji laid in the grass of the court yard. You always liked staying at the Shimada's. They were always nice to you, like a second family. They were also the only boys you were allowed to hang out with. You never really understood why but you were too shy to ask.

"I can't believe it. We're so close." Genji suddenly spoke, "Ah, one more year."

"Then you have to start acting like an adult." You laughed at him, "You'll have new responsibilities."

He groans at you, "I just want an endless summer."

"You know that won't happen."

"Yeah..."

The two of you lay in the grass, staring up to the sky. You were always more comfortable around Genji than Hanzo. Hanzo was always so serious about things. His fun meter took a bit to turn on. With Genji, he was always down to do something fun. Raid the arcade, go get ramen for the tenth time that day, 

"Y/N?" Genji asked with a sigh.

"Yes Genji?"

"Where do you think we'll be in fifteen years?" 

You sit up and laugh at him,  "You sound like Adachi-sensei."

"I'm serious! He got me thinking." Genji sat up as well, turning his attention to you. "What would we be doing in our thirties? Hanzo would be married with a child leading the clan by that age but, what of me?" 

"You can do whatever you want to, Genji." You put your hand on his shoulder. "Hanzo's future may be set but yours isn't. The world is yours to take on, Genji."

He smiled at you, a slight glint in his eyes that you play off as some sort os trick your mind is playing on you. "Ah! young "Y/L/N." Sojiro walks out into the yard, "Genji, go wash up before your meditation session."

"Yes sir." Genji gets up from the glass, heading into the house.

"Kon'nichiwa, Shimada-dono" You rose to your feet before properly greeting him. "Kon'ya wa watashi to atte kurete arigatōgozaimasu. [Thank you for seeing me tonight.]

He lightly laughs, "It is no trouble. Genji enjoys having you over and you keep him in line."

You laugh lightly, "I try, sir. Genji asks my advice before doing something that would be stupid."

"I appreciate that. You are welcomed to join the boys in their meditation this evening."

"I may, sir." 

You follow him inside to wash up before joining Hanzo and Genji in their meditation time. You meditate at home alone most nights while your father is busy with work. Sharing the experience with your two closest friends sounds nice to you.