Chapter 6

Trigger warning: There is mention of suicide in this chapter.

Danny and I bundled up in layers, going for a winter hike on Wachusett Mountain. On this bright and sunny, yet cold, Sunday afternoon, many people had similar ideas. The hiking trails were surprisingly busy. Danny was quiet, barely saying anything. I noticed he could get like that from time to time.

"I tried skiing once," I said, trying to make conversation, as me and Danny walked side by side, his hands shoved in his coat pockets. Wachusett Mountain was also a place for skiing, equally as busy today. "On this mountain actually, but I kept falling. I mean, I couldn't even stand up."

"I would've liked to see that," Danny said, finally saying something after several minutes of silence.

"Can you ski?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "There's four of us, so my parents couldn't afford it."

"Isn't your dad a dentist?" I said.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean we're rich," he said. "And working wasn't really my mom's thing."

My mother always worked and she worked a lot, often working double shifts so she'd get overtime.

"I guess you're right," I said. "I shouldn't assume things."

"Are you like my boyfriend?" Danny asked, his eyes focused on the snowy ground.

"I can be, if you want me to be," I said.

Danny nodded, not looking up.

Slipping my arm through his, I kissed the side of his head. Apparently not satisfied with that kiss, he stopped and stepped in front of me, placing his hand on the back of my neck. Cupping my cheeks in his hands, he kissed me full on my mouth, warming me up instantly.

"Why did you do that to your wrists?" I asked as he broke away from me.

Choosing not to respond to my question, Danny resumed walking. Why did I have to ask him that? I was always sticking my foot in my mouth.

"Sorry," I said. "I guess I'm just trying to understand."

"You sound like John," he said. "You wouldn't understand."

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Because you're normal," he said.

I stopped right there in my tracks. At first Danny hadn't realized I stopped walking and continued to walk ahead of me. Insulted by his comment, I was ready to ditch him and leave him there.

"What the hell does that mean?" I asked. He turned back around to face me.

"What? You're like perfect," he said.

"I'm not perfect," I said emphatically.

"Yes, you are," Danny said. "Everyone likes you. You're smart and beautiful and nice. You're like super nice. You're even too nice to flat out reject Caitlyn."

"I'm not perfect," I reiterated. "And what do you mean 'by normal?'"

"It's something I'm not," he said.

"I feel like we're talking in circles," I said. "It doesn't make any sense."

"Okay, it was a stupid mistake," he said, walking toward me. "And now I have these stupid, ugly scars to remind me of what I did. I really hope they fade. Do you think they'll fade? I don't want to have to wear these wristbands forever."

"Why'd you do it?" I asked.

"I guess I didn't want to live," he replied.

"Why not?" I asked. "I know, I wouldn't understand, right? I'm too normal. I don't get depressed, right? Wrong. I get depressed, too."