Chapter 14

Ari

Not long after John showed up uninvited in my house, my attorney informed me and my parents that the case wasn't going to trial. In fact, the DA decided to drop the charges.

Not only did Danny talk to the assistant DA, but Caitlyn stated she "wasn't sure" I was the one who assaulted her. She then admitted I wasn't the one who raped her. She was raped, but she wasn't sure by whom. I didn't know why she accused me because no one, including Caitlyn could even remember if the rape happened at the party; it could have happened the day before.

While most people assumed I'd be relieved that the charges were dropped and that I was completely exonerated, I was only partly relieved. I'd never get over hearing those words at my arraignment, that accusation, the strip search, and subsequent week in a jail cell. I'd never get over the fact that I was accused of rape.

I was relieved to a certain extent.

Anger and bitterness ate me up. The Collins family put me and my family through hell. I didn't like feeling this way; I was never a vengeful type of guy, but I didn't know any other way to feel other than bitter and hateful.

With all the humiliation, I was reluctant to go back to school and face everyone. It was hard enough going back to work. I had to go back to work because I had to earn as much money as possible before September. My parents got the bail money back, but they'd never get the money back they had to dish out for the lawyer.

Once the charges were finally dropped, Danny sent me text after text. When I didn't respond to his texts, he resorted to phone calls. It was like he thought I'd instantly forgive him and we'd be boyfriends again. He called and texted incessantly, full of apologies, leaving me messages, sobbing and begging for forgiveness. I had to admit I missed hearing his voice. I found myself replaying his messages over and over.

"Ari, I'm so sorry for everything. I love you so much and I'd do anything to get you back," Danny pleaded.

Give me a break, Danny, I thought to myself, but I continued to listen and replay his message.

"What can I do to get you back?" Danny blubbered. "Please call me."

When flowers showed up on the front stoop, I automatically assumed they were for my mother, my dad apologizing for something or other. Maybe it was her birthday or their anniversaries; I never kept track of those things.

"Those are lovely," my mother said, opening the box of roses. "These aren't for me, though." She handed the box back to me. "You didn't read the card."

Come back to me, Ari. Love, Danny

"Would you like me to put them in some water?" she asked.

"I don't know what to do," I said.

"We have plenty of vases," she said. "You just cut off the ends and put them in water."

"No, not that," I said. "I don't know what to do about Danny."

"All I can say is that there are other men—and women—out there," she said.

"Sorry, Mom, I'll never want a woman," I said. "I know there are other men out there. I don't know if I want another man."