Taffy

"Did you hear that?" whispered Kai, meditating with his eyes scanning the darkness of his eyelids.

"That rustling?" replied Jinora who was in the lotus position next to Kai.

"Yeah, what do you suppose it is?"

"Maybe a cat owl, or an elephant rat. Some small forest dweller." Jinora tried to focus on meditation, attempting to empty her mind and be a vessel of the spirits.

"What if it was a platypus bear! Like a real big one." At this point Kai had given up on meditation and was scanning the bushes and shrubberies for the source of the enigmatic sound

"I don't want to burst your bubble but we are too far north to get platypus bears. The greater platypus bear normally live in the Southern Earth Nation, staying around grassland, light bushland and fresh sources of water." Jinora fought to keep her mind blank, which was successful as it sounded. It was naïve of her to hope that she could pacify Kai with some basic bear facts.

"Oh well I'm sorry, I apologise for not knowing the habitats of platypus bears. I will try better in future." Kai retorted in an overdramatised and exaggerated tone.

Giggling to herself, Jinora tried in vain to shush Kai.

"I'm sorry that I am interrupting your meditation with my ignorance."

"It's not that, you are going to scare away whatever that is rustling over there."

"Is it me or is that rustling getting closer."

"Roooaaarrr!"

Jinora opened her eyes to see Lefty roaring at a panda-chimp that was jumping up and down in the middle of their camp. In the small clearing, there was just enough room for; Lefty, their tent and the pile of their stuff, which they were taking with them. The brown and white furred primate was just shorter than Jinora but looked much stronger. He could probably throw Kai around like a rag doll if he wanted to. The panda-chimp eyes darted around the camp as he screeched in fear. He was dirty, with patches of white fur matted with dirt. His ribs were exposed and his feral eyes burned crimson. The veins running down his long arms bulged and convulsed with his vicious swipes. Though they kept their distance, they trained a steely gaze at the beast. Lefty was visibly anxious and roared again at the invader. The panda-chimp raised himself to his full stature, smelling the air before focusing on one of their bags. He made a beeline for the food stockpile, sprinting on all fours in a rapid charge. He set about breaking the bag open with his clawed hands. Frantically he scratched at the materiel, desperately trying get to the nutrients inside.

"Hey that's our food! Get your own." Kai shouted, shooting a gust of wind at the primate. He was forced back, digging his claws into the ground to keep his footing. The ape swiped back in Kai's direction, crying out with a shrill scream.

Jinora looked up into the tall trees surrounding them. There was a bunch of kwarva fruit, just hanging there, a dozen of small purple spheres ripe for the plucking. They would make a sweet treat, and definitely a great pie flavour. Its presence of such a delicious fruit confused her. Why, she thought to herself, would this animal would try to steal from us when it could easily grab those fruits? It didn't make sense- unless it couldn't get the fruit.

"I have an idea, try and calm him down; we don't want to hurt him." Jinora said boosting up the ten-meter tree with a flurry of leaves.

Kai clicked his fingers in recognition and ran toward the bucking sky bison. Kai saw the panda-chimp running on all fours toward their gear. Kai ran in the primate's path, holding his arms in an effort to diffuse what could be described as a tense situation. The animal halted in his tracks, keeping his ground and staring at Kai. Kai was somewhat surprised by how effective his peace keeping method was. The panda-chimp stared at Kai before opening its jaws wide to scream at him, exposing his knife-like canines. Having startled Kai for just a moment, the creature lunged toward him. He grabbed his foot and with a violent jerking motion, he tossed Kai aside.