2. She Wakes

Chapter Two

It had been days since his majesty's life had been put in jeopardy. Days since a woman had saved him. Days that she has remained asleep while she recovered. Days of worried for his highness. Though the doctor assured him that she was going to be fine and the worst was over for her.

The light of the late morning sun finally left the last inch of her bed. Her eyes slowly fluttered open. Her eyes took some time to adjust to her surroundings. She was a bit confused. Searching her mind, she couldn't understand where she was or how she got here.

The last thing she could recall was getting a vision that the king of this country was going to be shot. She had flung herself at him to save him. Everything after that was a haze for her. She was so confused. When she's injured, her people take her back home, but they hadn't this time. She knew she was still in the kingdom.

She moved and screamed out as pain shot their her back. Soon others were in the room she was in. Several women and a few men. Most touching her and trying to calm her down. So many speaking soothing words.

Tears were still running down her cheeks as the pain let up just enough for her body to relax. One of the men shooed most all out of the room. He allowed one of the female to remain in order to help him.

The white haired man smiled and he sat on the edge of the bed. "Greetings my lady. I'm Salic and the royal physician."

She smiled tightly at him. He saw that she was still in pain. He leaned over and readjusted a pillow for her. When he sat back, he had a small frown on his face. "I will have to check out the wound as you may have pulled the stitches I sewed in." She nodded as he shifted.

The doctor worked with the maid to move the bedding away and reveal her back where she had been shot. The maid held her hand as the doctor tenderly looked at her wound.

The physician sighed happily. "It will just be sore but nothing is wrong with your wound. I suggest you not move very much and go easy." He rose and helped the maid adjust her to a more comfortable seating position.

They had just pulled the bedding up fully when the doors to the room burst open. She looked down at seeing the king. For some reason, the color in her cheeks increased at the sight of relief in his highness. Why did seeing his concern for her and the relief affect her so?

His majesty didn't stand on formality as he swiftly went to her bedside and sat down taking her hand in his. "How is she?" His majesty asked as he stared at her.

She had been on his mind for the past few days. When ever he paused in the day, he saw her in his mind. At every meal, he wondered more and more what she would like. How he could show her how grateful he is to her? He felt he would try throughout his entire life.

"She is well, my lord. She must be careful and not move around to much. Her wound is still fresh."

His highness glanced at the physician. "Has she spoken yet?"

The doctor shook his head. "Not as of yet."

His majesty looked back at the beauty. "May I ask your name my beautiful angel?"

He watched as she blushed more still looking down at the bedding. "Anrielle."

The king brought her hand up to his lips and gave her a small kiss as her voice was the sweetest sound in the world to him. He wished to hear it every second of the day. He wanted to hear what she thought about everything and nothing at the same time.

"My Lord, I would recommend for her to eat something. She has been out for days recovering." Salic informed his majesty as he looked upon the dainty woman in the bed.

"You're absolutely right." His majesty turned back to Anrielle. "What would you like to eat? You may ask for anything at all." He felt giddy at the mere thought of her speaking again.

But he wasn't rewarded with the sound of her voice. She just remained looking down and bit her lower lip. His eyes stayed on her lips a moment longer than he intended to. Her lips were so luscious to him. So perfect.

He snapped himself out of his staring. "Do you wish for one of us to choose for you?" She blushed more and nodded. His highness thought it cute, but he so wanted to hear her voice again. It has begun to feel like an eternity since she spoke last. He wanted more. So much more.

"I trust you, doctor, to get what she needs to eat." He spoke still looking at the beauty who saved him. He didn't have to see the doctor bow and then leave the room.

There was a knock on the door before it was opened. A guard took a step in and knelt. "Forgive the intrusion my lord, but the ambassadors have arrived. They wait in the throne room for you."

"Thank you. You may leave and tell them I will be there momentarily." The guard dipped his head lower before rushing from the room.

His highness sighed. "Rest well my lady." He kissed her hand making her blush more. He rose and turned to the maid. "She is in your care. Make sure she wants for nothing. She is your only task from now on."

"Yes my lord." The maid curtsied and his majesty left the room glancing back one last time at the door. The maid giggled as she went over and messed with the bedding. "His majesty seems smitten with you."

Anrielle closed her eyes. Thats not good. No one is supposed to get attached to her. She was supposed to stay. Why hadn't they come to get her? What was going on? Everything was out of sync. Off procedure.

"Do you not find his lordship in the least desirable?" Anrielle couldn't hep but blush. "Oh, you do! I wonder if you two will become something. You could be our queen."

Salic came back in to see the shocked look on Anrielle's face. He frowned. "What did you say to her?" He asked the maid. He walked over to the bed with the tray of soup and bread.

"Just dreaming out loud. I think I scared her." The maid had bowed her head in shame.

"And what were you dreaming out loud?" Salic was shaking his head at the maid.

"That his majesty would marry her." She said shyly.

"Of course she would he shocked by that. She just woke up and had been fonded over from the second she woke. She may not be used to all this. She

needs time so she can heal properly. Now shoo so she can eat peacefully."

The maid curtsied and scurried out of the room. "Eat well my dear." He started to rise but she grabbed his arm. He sat back down and put his hand over hers. "Do you wish not to be alone?" She shook her head. "Then I shall stay as I just shooed away your maid." She smiled lightly as a thank you.

They didn't say anything as she ate. He helped her in the beginning as the bowl was heavy. Too heavy in her weakened state. And as she couldn't lean forward. He held the bowl for her. He was happy though. She seemed to get stronger as she ate. Especially after she had some bread in her system.

As he predicted, she fell to sleep after she finished eating. He had to reposition her so she could rest peacefully. Before he left her room, he made sure to talk to her maid before he did. He wanted to make sure she knew to keep her fantasies to herself in order to not stress Anrielle.