Brooklyn's glow

It was a warm, summer night in Brooklyn. The cool wind calmed Miles as he swung through the city. He was just finishing up his patrol for the evening, the police scanner wasn't as active as it was normally, in fact there had barely been any crime that night at all, at least none that Miles had known about. He swung up onto the Brooklyn bridge, took off his bag and laid down on the cool cement, watching the stars. He couldn't see that many with all the light coming from the city, but he knew they were there. As he laid there his mind wandered back to the night he stopped Kingpin, where he had, for the first time, saved the city, where he had said goodbye...to her. Miles felt his heart ache as the painful memory came flooding back.

~Flashback~

The portal let out a red and blue flash as Spider-Ham returned to his dimension. Miles looked up from the chaos below him, and saw who was next, and he was no where near ready to say goodbye. Miles put on a smile and tried to think of something to make himself forget the aching in his heart "Do I get to like the hairdo now?" She pulled off her mask, her amazing blonde hair falling perfectly into place, her lips turned up in a smile Miles felt his heart ache even more. Letting out a small laugh, she replied "You know I'm older than you, by 15 months, but that's pretty significant if you ask me" Her eyes softened as they met his. Miles continued "Well... Einstein said time was relative, right?" Miles only just noticed her eyes watering when she turned away "Nice" the pain obvious in her voice. Miles couldn't stand it any more, he put his hand on her shoulder and moved her to face him, the urge to say everything he needed to, explain how he had fallen in love with her, and how much he would miss her voice, her laugh, her smile, just everything about her amlost made him blurt it all out, but he couldn't, he couldn't make this harder  on either of them. he brought his hand up, and he said "Friends?" The smile returned to her face, but her eyes still gave away her true emotions, Miles had no doubt his did too. "Friends" she said taking his hand,  Neither one wanting to let go. She was the one who finally released her grip. With one final look at him, she said in a shaky voice "See you around...Spider-Man" a tear rolling down her face. Miles nodded, and she let go of the ceiling, falling back to her home. Miles couldn't hold back any more "Gwen!" He shouted and he saw her look up at him "I lo-" before he could finish the portal lit up purple and green...she was gone, Gwen was gone. He saw Peter crawl down to him "Hey bud" he said, complete understanding filled his words. Miles pulled him into a hug, only then did he realizing how much he had been crying.

~Flashback end ~

Miles wiped a few tears from his face, the pain of missing her was still fresh. In fact, he never thought it would really go away. He was in love with Gwen, and he would give anything to see her again. The smell of his toasted sandwich brought his attention to his hunger, he was starving. He pulled the sandwich out of his bag and  watched the Brooklyn glow as his mind got lost thinking about the love of his life, Gwen Stacy.